Procedure of Appointment of Adjunct Faculty
To submit a recommendation for adjunct faculty:
- The department completes the recommendation for adjunct appointment form. The chair/director signs form.
- The completed recommendation form and vita of the prospective adjunct faculty are forwarded to the dean for review, decision and signature.
- If the dean approves, the recommendation form and vita are forwarded to the provost for review, decision and signature.
- The provost retains a copy of the recommendation form and returns the original to the department. The vita is retained in the provost’s office.
- If the recommendation is denied, the department relays the denial decision to the individual.
- If the recommendation is approved, the department sends letter and WIN/Adjunct Faculty request form to the prospective adjunct faculty.
- When the signed letter of offer is received from the prospective individual, the department sends signed letter and completed WIN/Adjunct Faculty request form to the dean and provost.
- The provost submits the recommendation of adjunct appointment to the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees.
- Office of the Provost forward the WIN/Adjunct Faculty request form to Office of the Registrar
- The provost sends a letter to the individual confirming the decision of the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees, copied to the chair/director and dean.
To be appointed, an adjunct faculty member shall meet the following requirements:
- The individual must be eligible for and be expected to enter a continuing or at least extended association with the university (beyond a single year appointment).
- The individual must possess the academic qualifications or their equivalents appropriate to the rank.
- Adjunct appointments must receive approval through regular departmental channels and have approval of the dean and the provost.
- Adjunct faculty in general have full-time employment outside of the university directly relating to their university service or have retired from the discipline outside the university.
The following policies shall govern all adjunct appointments:
- Appointments shall be made for not more than three years with automatic termination unless renewed.
- Appointments may be continued even though the services of the adjunct staff member are not utilized in any given semester or session.
- Adjunct appointments do not carry tenure.
- The degree and nature of participation in departmental activities and functions shall be determined in each case by the appointing department.
- Promotion to a higher adjunct rank shall follow regular departmental and school procedures.
- Persons supervising internships may be appointed to adjunct ranks.
- Appointments shall be made within traditional ranking of assistant to associate to full professor, but excluding a faculty specialist.
Compensation is not normally a provision of an adjunct appointment; however, if compensation is a provision of an adjunct appointment, it should be at a rate agreed upon by the appointee, the chair, the dean, and the provost. Adjuncts are entitled to specific university fringe benefits, including library access, bookstore discounts, a computer account and a parking permit for the entire appointment.
(Approved by Board of Trustees December 16, 1966; amended by Office of Academic Affairs, September 1982, June 1988 and October 1989).