Doctoral associateships and graduate assistantships are awarded for one year only (except in those cases where it is stipulated as a single semester only). That is, students must apply for renewal every year. Although it is the department's intention to fund students for as long as they are eligible, continued funding is dependent on performance – both in the program and in assigned work – and department needs.
Funded students must apply for renewal by the annual Feb. 15 deadline. Students should follow these steps:
1. Complete the application for graduate assistantship/associateship.
2. Download the Department of Poilitical Science reference form.
3. Have 3 current or recent professors fill our reference forms for you. Instruct them that references are due by Feb. 15 in the department office.
4. Write a 250 word statement about your plans (both for research and field interests and career development) as they have evolved during the course of your study.
5. For funding renewal, you do not need to turn in transcripts.
6. Turn in the application form and the statement to the department office by the Feb. 15 deadline.
If you have any questions, see the graduate advisor.