Typical Deadlines for Doctoral Students
These deadlines and dates are typical for field exams. Check the actual schedule in any given year. The deadline for funding applications is firm.
Ph.D. exam dates
- Fall Comprehensive Exam: Second Monday/Tuesday of October
- Spring Comprehensive Exam: First Monday/Tuesday after spring break
Note: In the event that a student takes two field exams during the same semester, one field will be moved one week later than the first set of exams. The graduate director will notify students accordingly.
Ph.D. exam application due date
- Fall Comprehensive Exam: Second Monday of September
- Spring Comprehensive Exam: First Monday of February
Application for graduation
- Fall: Aug. 1
- Spring: Dec. 1
- Summer I: Feb. 1
- Summer II: Feb 1
A dissertation must be submitted four to five weeks before graduation (check the Graduate College calendar).
Graduate funding (assistantship) application
- Feb. 15
- Ph.D. annual review form: Feb. 15