The Department of Political Science at Western Michigan University provides typical deadlines and dates for field exams. Check the actual schedule in any given year. The deadline for funding applications is firm.
Ph.D. exam dates
- Fall comprehensive exam: second Monday and Tuesday of October
- Spring comprehensive exam: first Monday and Tuesday after spring break
In the event that a student takes two field exams during the same semester, one field will be moved one week later than the first set of exams. The graduate director will notify students accordingly.
Ph.D. exam application due date
- Fall Comprehensive Exam: second Monday of September
- Spring Comprehensive Exam: first Monday of February
Application for graduation
- Fall: Aug. 1
- Spring: Dec. 1
- Summer I: Feb. 1
- Summer II: Feb 1
A dissertation must be submitted four to five weeks before graduation. Check the Graduate College calendar.
Graduate funding application
- Feb. 1
- Ph.D. annual review form: Feb. 1