Applications for admission are welcomed from candidates for the Doctor of Philosophy Program in the Department of Political Science at Western Michigan University.
Submit the following materials to the department address c/o The Graduate Secretary:
- Three academic references
- A writing sample in the form of two research papers or a master’s thesis
- A curriculum vitae or resume
- A brief statement of academic and professional objectives
Submit the following materials to Graduate Admissions or International Admissions and Services, as appropriate:
- The formal application
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions
In addition, arrange to have GRE scores for verbal, quantitative, and analytical sections sent to WMU (school code #1902). The subject test in political science is not necessary.
Application deadlines for admission (citizens and permanent residents only):
- Fall semester deadline: June 15; term begins late August.
- Spring semester deadline: Nov. 1; term begins early January.
International students should consult the International Admissions and Services website for application deadlines.
The application deadline for graduate assistantships and associateships:
- Feb. 1—There is only one application deadline per year. Applicants wishing to be considered for funding must also have their admissions application completed by the February 1 deadline.
English language instruction for international students
International students may enroll in the WMU Career English Language Center for International Students program until the required TOEFL score for academic enrollment is achieved.