Health and Safety
When students are healthy, happy and safe, they have the highest potential for academic success and enjoying the college experience. Western Michigan University strives to provide programs, services and environments that support the health of students and encourage them to make healthy, safe decisions. Although our first goal is to help students prevent illness and avoid health risks, we are prepared to help when students do feel ill or their health is compromised.
As a parent or family member, you can also help your student stay healthy at WMU. We value your role and predict your student will look to you for advice if she or he is not feeling well.
To help you get ready to give advice about health and safety at WMU, we suggest you complete the following steps to prepare your student for accessing health services:
- Remind your student that convenient, cost-saving services are available on campus at Sindecuse Health Center.
- Complete and submit the Confidential Health History Form available.
- Make decisions about student health insurance. Whether or not a student has insurance, they are eligible to receive health services at Sindecuse Health Center. We will submit claims to participating insurance companies for services provided. For a complete list of participating plans, visit www.sindecuse.com and select the insurance portion of the Web page. If a student does not have insurance, coverage may be purchased through WMU’s Student Health Insurance Program. Please give an insurance card or copy of the card to the student that they can bring with them when they use the health center.
- Be aware of the programs and services available to WMU students. Here are a few of the many comprehensive services available at Sindecuse:
- Preventative health exams
- Acute illness and injury care
- Full-service pharmacy
- Online, phone and drive-through pick up for prescription refills
- Wellness workshops and peer education
- Immunizations and allergy injections
- Physical therapy
- Laboratory and x-ray services
- Nutrition counseling
- Massage therapy
- Keep Sindecuse Health Center print material and Web site information on hand. Go to www.sindecuse.com or call the center at (269) 387-3287.