Individuals interested in admission to the WMU PA program must submit an application to the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants in addition to the Western Michigan University Physician Assistant supplemental application (Deadline: postmarked by Dec.1). A $50 supplemental application fee must be paid before the application will be reviewed. Please click here to pay online. After a review of applications, selected candidates are invited to participate in an interview session. Candidates for admission are selected from among those interviewed
The admission process is highly competitive. Recently admitted students have a GPA well above the minimum and have documented hours above the minimum of 1,000. Competitive applicants will have superior oral and written communications skill and have an understanding and commitment to the physician assistant role and mission.
The following prerequisites should be considered a minimum for application:
- An undergraduate degree, earned prior to the fall start date of the WMU PA program curriculum*
- A minimum of 1000 hours of health care experience, which must include direct patient contact. Shadowing experiences do not count towards this requirement. Volunteer hours may be considered at half of the total amount if direct patient care is evident.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 in the most recent 60 credit hours.
- Six required prerequisite courses, taken at any accredited four-year institution, equivalent to WMU course options, completed prior to Dec. 31, with a grade of C or above.
Things to consider
Before submitting an application to this competitive selection process, consider if you can answer "yes" to the following questions:
- Have you exhibited an ability to meet the demands of the program as shown by grade point average and grade trends or patterns?
- Do you have solid clinical experience at a competitive level of responsibility (e.g., paramedical or other allied health profession)?
- Is your clinical experience primarily comprised of direct patient contact?
- Do you comprehend the P.A. role as a primary care provider?
- Are you committed to fulfilling the mission of the program and the profession?
- Have you completed all prerequisite courses and healthcare experiences prior to the application deadline? (Grades for courses completed by the end of the fall semester of the application year will be accepted. The bachelor's degree must be completed prior to the September program entry date.)
- The GMAT, GRE, MCAT, etc are not required for application to the WMU PA program
- Central Application Service for Physician Assistants starts accepting applications mid- April.
- Deadline: Applications and all supporting documents must be submitted to CASPA by Dec. 1
- Deadline: Supplemental application must be postmarked by Dec. 1
- Do not send transcripts or any paperwork to WMU PA
- After review of submitted materials, students will receive a postcard or email informing them of a complete application (email) or of any deficiencies (postcard).
- Selected candidates are invited to participate in an interview session.
- Candidates for admission to the program are selected from the interview pool.
Refer to these links for additional, related information: