Updates regarding the transition from master's degree to doctoral program:
- We are no longer accepting applications for the entry-level master’s program in Kalamazoo.
- Feb. 1, 2019 is the application deadline for the final entry-level master’s program cohort in Grand Rapids.
- Feb. 1, 2020 will be the deadline for the first cohorts of the OTD (doctoral) program, which is scheduled to begin summer II 2020 in Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids. Watch our website for updates about the OTD program, including when the application is available.
Minimum application requirements and prerequisites
- Application deadline is February 1
- You must have a bachelor’s degree (or plan to graduate the spring after the application due date) from an accredited institution
- Minimum 3.0 GPA from the most recent 60 credits of coursework
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE General Test) – Submit scores using WMU code: 1902
- All prerequisites must be completed before the application due date, and must be passed with a C or better. These include:
- BIOS 2110: Human Anatomy
- BIOS 2400: Human Physiology
- PSY 1000: General Psychology
- PSY 2500: Abnormal Psychology
- ENGL 1050: Thought and Writing
- HSV 2250: Growth, Development and Aging
- OT 2020: Orientation to OT - OT 2020 is a three-credit online course at WMU. You must complete the class before you apply; or you may be taking the class in the spring semester during which you apply.
To register for OT 2020, you must first apply to WMU using the appropriate application
- If you already have a bachelor's degree, use the graduate non-degree application.
- If you are currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at another institution, use the guest application.
- Volunteer or work experience, cultural competency, leadership, teamwork and research experience.
- Documented OT shadowing experience (minimum 20 hours total)—Please use the evaluation form located at the link below.
How to apply
The following steps must be completed no later than Feb. 1.
- Submit official transcripts to the WMU Office of Admissions from ALL previous institutions attended (except for WMU) before the Feb. 1 deadline.
- In the online application system, you will be directed to include supplemental information. Please review the M.S. in occupational therapy summary page for more information.
The only portion of the supplemental OT application that must be mailed is the OT job shadowing evaluation(s). Please mail the sealed OT evaluations to the following address by Feb. 1:
Western Michigan University
College of Health and Human Services
Advising Office - ATTN: Sarah Anderson
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5380 USA
Graduate admission process
Upon receipt of a completed application, the department will:
- Calculate each applicant's GPA.
- Review and score applications
- Rank total application scores (highest to lowest) for all applicants.
- A cohort of students will be admitted to start fall 2019 in Grand Rapids.
- A small number of applicants will be placed on a waiting list
If you have any further questions, please email Sarah Anderson, OT advisor.