The mission of the Office for Sustainability is to guide and assist the Western Michigan University community in fulfilling and growing its sustainability commitments. Through building a diverse and flourishing learning community around sustainability, we will continually explore and develop new opportunities to create a culture of sustainability and improve quality of life for all.
GOALS AND STRATEGIES
- Make Western Michigan University a national higher education sustainability leader.
- Identify and help implement innovative and cost-effective strategies for reducing WMU’s eco-cultural wake, which span all of our policies, programs, and activities.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary and cross-college collaboration, research, and inquiry around sustainability.
- Encourage and support weaving sustainability and climate change education into existing curriculum.
- Assist in the development and implementation of new undergraduate and graduate sustainability courses, certificates, and degree programs.
- Support active learning and real-world problem solving through student sustainability research, internships, and co-curricular activities.
- Graduate knowledgeable, open-minded, well-prepared, and engaged planetary stewards.
- Serve as a resource and advocate for sustainability on campus and in the community, region, and state.
- Collaborate with all Offices and Colleges across campus to secure resources for these efforts.
- Report regularly and transparently on both our achievements and shortcomings in these endeavor.