Career Outcomes for 2015-16 WMU Graduates

Career and Student Employment Services surveyed all (N=5049) WMU students graduating with bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees between August 2015 and June 2016. Data was obtained for 75% of the population (N=3766).

92% of WMU graduates were actively engaged within three months of graduation.

“Active engagement” is defined as full-time employment (including self-employment and post-graduate internships/fellowships); part-time employment; military service; volunteering full time, and continuing education. Categories not included in active engagement are unemployed and seeking employment, and not seeking employment.

Primary Activity Summary

Actively Engaged N=3470 92%
Employed full time N=2686 71%
Employed part time N=210 6%
Continuing education N=532 14%
Military service N=26 0.6%
Volunteering full time N=16 0.4%
Not Actively Engaged N=296 8%
Unemployed and seeking N=258 7%
Not seeking employment N=38 1%

Full-Time Employment Highlights

  • 71% of respondents were employed full time.
  • The median salary was $40,000–$45,000 based on 1690 reported salaries.
  • 84% have a job that is related to their degree.
  • 88% are satisfied with their job.
  • 76% work in Michigan; 22% work in 44 other U.S. states; and 2% work in 20 countries outside the U.S.

Continuing Education

  • 14% of respondents are pursuing further education after graduating from WMU.
  • 51% are continuing education at WMU, and the remaining 49% will attend 128 different institutions. 

Experiential Education

  • 80% of respondents completed an experiential education activity at WMU.
  • View internships by major in the WMU Internship Catalog.

WMU post-graduation activity report

Full WMU Post-Graduation Activity Report 2015-16

If the document above does not open, please download this version.

Post-Graduation Activity Summaries by college

Arts and Sciences


Education and Human Development

Engineering and Applied Sciences

Fine Arts

Haworth College of Business

Health and Human Services

Post-graduation activity by Major

Arts and Sciences Majors

Aviation Majors

Education and Human Development Majors

Engineering and Applied Sciences Majors

Fine Arts Majors

Haworth College of Business Majors

Health and Human Services Majors

Interdisciplinary Programs: Evaluation, Health Informatics and Information Management, Telecommunications and Information Management, University Studies