This concentration is for:
- Early care providers who teach in private programs and would like to increase their knowledge base and professional skills with a MA degree to become an administrator.
- Elementary education certified teachers who would like to earn the ZS (Early Childhood General and Special Education) endorsement along with a MA degree.
Students working toward the state ZS endorsement must meet three requirements:
- Completion of a total of 27 graduate credits, 15 credits (5 classes) of which must be early childhood courses.
- Professional experience at two of three early childhood levels (infants/toddler, preschool, kindergarten-grade 3).
- Passing grade on the state-level examination.
Foundation of Practice (12-15 hours)
- ES 6330—Education and Human Flourishing Credits: 3 hours
- ES 6340—Culture and Politics of Educational Institutions Credits: 3 hours
- ED 6010—Introduction to Research in Educational Settings Credits: 3 hours
- ED 6790—Capstone Research Project Credits: 3 hours
- ED 7000—Master's Thesis Credits: 6 hours
Area of Specialization (18 hours)
- ED 6060—Early Childhood Education Methods and Materials Credits: 3 hours
- ED 6080—Seminar in Early Childhood Development Credits: 3 hours
- ED 6140—Engaging Diverse Families in Educational Settings Credits: 3 hours
- ED 6110—Assessment in Early Childhood Inclusive Education Credits: 3 hours
Electives (6 hours)
- LS 5160—Professional Symposium in Reading Credits: 3 hours
- ED 5750—Administration of Child Development Centers Credits: 3 hours
For more information, please contact Dr. Andrea Smith.