The undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Geological and Environmental Sciences at Western Michigan University comprise a highly-active scientific community. Not only do students perform innovative research, but they also regularly participate in professional organizations, give presentations, publish their research and successfully compete for awards at the department, University, national and international levels. Below are some of the most recent awards that our accomplished students have earned.
- Gebremichael's Publication on Nile Delta Grabs Spotlight
April 24, 2018 | Office of the Vice President for Research
Graduate student Esayas Gebremichael's Nile Delta research is published and featured as Eos Spotlight
- M.S. student Zaid Nasseer Nadhim took home second place at the Governor's Summit on Extractive Industries that took place in East Lansing, MI on Feb. 13, 2018.
- Ph.D. student Sarah VanderMeer and M.S. student Matt Hemenway took home awards for their poster presentations at the annual meeting for the Michigan Chapter of AIPG on Nov. 30, 2017. AIPG student members were invited to bring their posters to compete for awards up to $1,000 cash in both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Graduate students win leading geology awards
Nov. 18, 2017 | WMU News
Ph.D. students Sarah VanderMeer and Karem Abdelmohsen win at GSA's annual meeting held in Seattle, WA.
- Ph.D. student Elizabeth Palmer recently had a research article published in Nature Communications titled Orbital bistatic radar observations of asteroid Vesta by the Dawn mission. Authors include Elizabeth M. Palmer, Dr. Essam Heggy and Dr. Wlodek Kofman. Elizabeth was also featured in an article with reference to her research—NASA-funded research at USC provides evidence of ground-ice on asteroids. Sept. 14, 2017 | Space Daily
- Ph.D. student Sita Karki will be attending the 2017 InSAR Processing and Theory GMTSAR Short Course at Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
April 24, 2017 | WMU News
- Ph.D. student, Matt Rine, attended the 7th annual Young Professionals Leadership Summit (YPLS) in Houston, Texas.
- Stephanie Buglione (undergraduate)—Undergraduate Research Excellence Award
- Hanna Cohen (Ph.D.)—Graduate Research Assistantship Award
- Esayas Gebremichael (Ph.D.)—Research and Creative Activities Poster and Performance Day's Outstanding Poster Presentation Award, Dissertation Completion Fellowship
- Shelby Hurst (Ph.D.)—Graduate Student Research Grant, Graduate Research Assistantship Award
- Nick Moleski (M.S.)—Department-level Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award
- Elizabeth Palmer (Ph.D.)—All-University Graduate Research and Creative Scholar Award, Department-level Graduate Research and Creative Scholar Award, Graduate Student Research Grant
- Hannah Pankratz (Ph.D.)—All-University Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award, Department-level Graduate Teaching Effectiveness Award, Graduate Research Assistantship Award
- Bradley Rizzo (undergraduate)—Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Katharine Rose (undergraduate)—Presidential Scholar Award, Undergraduate Research Excellence Award
- Benjamin Seiderman (M.S.)—Department-level Graduate Research and Creative Scholar Award
- Karem Abdelmohsen (Ph.D.)—Farouk El-Baz Student Research Grant
- Hanna Cohen (Ph.D.)—Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) Grant, North Central Section and Mineralogy, Geochemistry, Petrology, and Volcanology division's Geological Society of America (GSA) Travel Grant
- Esayas Gebremichael (Ph.D.)—National Association of Black Geoscientists (NABG) Travel Grant
- Cameron Manche (Ph.D.)—Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) Grant
- Hannah Pankratz (Ph.D.)—Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) Student Travel Grant
- Nicholas Shaw (undergraduate)—AAPG Deana and Paul Strunk Military Veterans Scholarship
- Neal Turluck (M.S.)—Riverside Energy Michigan Inc. scholarship and the Midwest Mineralogical and Lapidary Society of Michigan Scholarship
- Sarah VanderMeer (Ph.D.)—USGS Best Student Geologic Map and AIPG Michigan Section Best Graduate Student Poster