Undergraduate advising

Physics majors and minors at Western Michigan University should meet regularly with the Department of Physics undergraduate advisor, Dr. Clement Burns. See information below to schedule an appointment.

Meeting with your advisor will ensure that you:

  • Meet graduation requirements for physics program and for the University. Make sure to schedule advising appointments in a timely manner to meet graduation policies and deadlines.
  • Avoid problems caused by failing to take physics and math prerequisites at optimal times in your course of study. Some courses are not offered every semester.  If you are in doubt, you may consult WMU classlookup or the undergraduate course catalog.

Majors in the general physics curriculum should also meet with an advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences for advising on University and general education requirements.

Majors in the geophysics curriculum should also meet with an advisor in the Department of Geosciences.

Majors in the physics—secondary education curriculum should also meet with an advisor in the College of Education and Human Development.

AP or transfer courses

All students seeking credit for physics AP or transfer courses must meet with our advisor. It is not sufficient to send your transcript to University Admissions; credits must be approved by our department.

Scheduling an appointment

You may schedule an undergraduate advising appointment by calling the Department of Physics main office, (269) 387-4940. Our advising office is located in 1120 Everett Tower.

Your advisor is also an important resource for information about

  • Courses
  • Academic support services
  • Programs of study
  • Employment opportunities
  • Graduate study in physics

We're here to help. Don't hesitate to get in touch!

Graduate advising

Graduate students should meet regularly with graduate programs advisor Dr. Paul Pancella. He holds regular advising office hours and is also available by appointment.