Historical Timeline

In 2015, Western Michigan University Board of Trustees July 8 voted to name the building that houses the University's College of Engineering and Applied Sciences for WMU's sixth president, Dr. Elson S. Floyd (obituary). Below are some historical photos from the engineering college.

Domestic science class in administration building (now East Hall)

Domestic science class in administration building (now East Hall). View more images

Special thanks to WMU Archives, WMU News, The Western Herald, The Kalamazoo Paper Foundation, Tom Swartz, John Gilroy, John Lacko, Kanti Sandhu, Herb Ellinger, Charles Woodward, Fred Sitkins, and Lawrence J. Brink for their photo contributions.

Shop forge, ca. 1912-15, with Director George Waite.

Shop forge, ca. 1912-15, with Director George Waite. View more images

Auto Shop in Eames Mille, ca. 1920.

Auto Shop in Eames Mill, ca. 1920.
View more images

The print shop in the 1940s featured intertype typesetting machines.

The print shop in the 1940s featured intertype typesetting machines.  View more images

Manual Arts building in the 1930s.

Manual Arts building in the 1930s.
View more images

Drafting class in the Industrial Arts building.

Drafting class in the Industrial Arts building.
View more images

Paper technology lab photo in the 1960 Brown and Gold yearbook.

Paper technology lab photo in the 1960 Brown and Gold yearbook. View more images

Students pouring metal in Kohrman Hall foundry.

Students pouring metal in Kohrman Hall foundry.
View more images

Greg Louzeau helps student in computer lab in Kohrman Hall.

Greg Louzeau helps student in computer lab in Kohrman Hall. View more images

The Industrial design program receives a donation of tools from Styles Machinery.

The industrial design program receives a donation of tools from Styles Machinery. View more images

Land development plan for the Parkview Campus.

Land development plan for the Parkview Campus.
View more images