The Office of Faculty Development is committed to supporting all faculty, including part-time instructors. We accomplish this in many ways:
- Part-time Instructors are invited to participate in all of our ongoing events, such as our Cool Tools workshops, Instructor II workshops, Summer Seminar for Teaching Inclusivity, or our two yearly events.
- A Part-time Faculty Seminar series that focuses on issues of interest to part-time faculty, as identified by the annual Needs Assessment Survey, is currently being planned for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Instructional Support Decision Tree
- PIO lnstructional Development Grant Application
- PIO Instructional Development Grant Application Form
instructional development grants
Funding is provided for an Article 17.5 of the WMU-PIO Agreement 2016 - 2021 Instructional Development Grants. Western agrees to provide a minimum of four thousand dollars ($4,000) each year of this Agreement to be used to support teaching and learning proposals from bargaining unit members. Proposals are encouraged as well from groups of part-time instructors, from departments, and from inter-department consortia of part-time instructors. Topics of proposals may include, but not be limited to: program development, continuing self-education, and international education. Proposals will be reviewed through a process developed by the Office of Faculty Development and approved by the Office of the Provost. Maximum award level is up to $1,000. If the cost of the trip is less than $1,000 only actual expenses will be reimbursed.
- Application deadlines for these Instructional Development Grants: The application must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event.
- Grants should be completed by the end of the fiscal year they are funded.
- All funds in Instructional Development Grants account will be swept 40 days after the allotted time period and may not be reclaimed.
Grant Reviewing Criteria: A subcommittee of the Office of Faculty Development Advisory Board will review proposals and recommend projects for funding to the Advisory Board. Applicants will receive reviewer comments in summary form upon request.
All funds have been awarded for 2017-18. New applications will be accepted after July 1.
To complete the application fill out this form.
For any ideas or questions, please contact:
Office of Faculty Development
2029 University Computing Center
Mail Stop 5268 (269) 387-0732 or submit by e-mail to email@example.com
instructor II STATus workshop
This workshop will take part-time instructors through the process of applying for the recently implemented Instructor II status promotion (through the PIO-WMU 2016-2021 contract). Topics to be covered include: overview of Instructor II status, eligibility for the status, the timeline of the application process, the Faculty Activities Reporting System (FARS), and how to assemble/what to include in the brief teaching portfolio for the Professional Competence Evaluation.
Worshops schedule 2017:
|Wednesday, October 18||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, October 22||1-2:30 p.m.|
|Thursday, October 26||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday, October 31||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday, November 8||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday, November 21||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, November 29||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Sunday, December 03||1-2:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday, January 10||12-1:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday, January 16||5:30 - 7 p.m.|
|Sunday, January 21||1 - 2:30 p.m.|
All workshops will be held in University Computing Center (UCC) Room 2033. Plase visit the registration page to sign up for workshops.