Undergraduate students in the School of Communication at Western Michigan University should meet with the department advisor regularly. The department advisor can assist students in understanding degree requirements, campus resources and academic options, while helping students determine and achieve academic goals.
- In-person drop-in advising will resume in September.
- "School of Communication Advising" appointments are 30-minute in-person meetings for current WMU student to discuss degree requirements, course registration, and other academic issues or for prospective students seeking information about the School of Communication.
- "New Transfer Student Advising" appointments are 60-minute meetings for students who are already admitted to WMU but have not started classes here yet and have not met with any advisors. For phone appointments or scheduling issues, please email the advisor for help.
- Appointments are in person. If a schedule accommodation or a phone appointment is required, please contact the advisor for help.
Online chat advising
- The School of Communication is piloting online chat advising for current students. Chat advising is appropriate for schedule questions, help registering for courses, questions related to a major or minor change, and graduation applications. Chat advising instructions
- Chat advising is available on a day-to-day basis as time permits and students will be helped in the order they contact the advisor through the chat system. Please check the link below to see current availability. If you would like to schedule a chat advising appointment, please contact the advisor for help.
Contact the undergraduate advisor
Email Beth Cramer, 319 Sprau Tower
Declare a major or minor
The School of Communication offers seven majors and two minors. To explore the options and their requirements, review different majors and minors in the Undergraduate Academic section of the website.
If you are ready to declare your major or minor, you may request the change online:
Find information about internships and applying for credit on our internship page.
Check your remaining courses in Degree Works (accessible through a student's GoWMU account) or refer to your degree requirements. Degree requirements can also be found at the office on the third floor of Sprau Tower.