| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Western Michigan University’s 18th annual Homecoming Campus Classic is Saturday, Oct. 8, on WMU's main campus.
The race kicks off a day of major homecoming activities. The Bronco football team faces Northern Illinois University that evening.
The 5K run is open to people of all ages, families and three- to five-member teams. It is timed with the Chronotrack B-Tag Disposable system. Participants must use the B-Tag System, and there is no return fee with this system. If participants use their own chips, their times will not be recorded.
The 5K walk and 1K fun run and walk are not timed. Parents and guardians may run or walk with children at no charge in the 1K events. The 5K course is certified, and both races will begin in front of University Arena on Western Avenue near Lot 18. No pets are allowed on the course.
Schedule and event details
- 7 a.m.—Free race parking is available until 11:30 a.m. in Lot 13, the parking ramp on West Michigan Avenue across from the Student Recreation Center and in Lot 41 near Sangren Hall.
- 7 a.m.—Race-day registration and packet pickup at the Student Recreation Center until 9 a.m.
- 8:45 a.m.—1K fun run and Walk begins in front of University Arena.
- 9:15 a.m.—5K run and walk begins in front of the University Arena on Western Avenue.
- 10:15 a.m.—Awards ceremony and refreshments at the Student Recreation Center indoor tennis courts.
- 10:30 a.m.—5K course re-opens to cars. Walkers still on the course should move to the sidewalk to finish the course.
Each participant has a chance to win a $500 AAA travel voucher and will receive a T-shirt and complimentary refreshments. Each WMU student participant has a chance to win one of 10 WMU parking passes. They must be present to win and have a Bronco Card at the time of the raffle.
Awards will be given to the top male and female overall individual finishers in each of 17 age divisions and in each of four team divisions. All top finishers receive a Gazelle Sports gift certificate. Kids' 1K participants age 14 and under will receive a participant’s medal.
- 7:30 to 10:30 a.m.--Oliver Street from Stadium Drive to Western Avenue will be closed.
Beginning at 8:30 a.m., other roads will close and remain closed until the following times:
- Until 9:30 a.m.—West Michigan Avenue to Sangren Hall.
- Until 9:50 a.m.—North Dormitory, Gilkinson, Goldsworth, Rankin and Valley Drive Ave. from Sangren Hall to North Dormitory Rd.
- Until 10:05 a.m.—Rankin, Business Court to Miller ramp.
- Until 10:15 a.m.—Western Avenue, Roell, Shaw, VandeGiessen, Arcadia, Western Avenue to finish line.
All roads will reopen at 10:30 a.m. Walkers and runners will be asked to move to the sidewalk to finish the race. Maps detailing the 1K fun run and walk course as well as the 5K course can be found at wmich.edu/campusclassic/map.
Packet pickup and registration
People may register online at wmich.edu/campusclassic/registration through Thursday, Oct. 6. Costs are $20 for adults, $15 for students and $10 for children under 14. Teams comprised of three to five members for students grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12 and college-aged are $30 per team; teams of family members are $45 per team; and non-student team fees are $55. An additional $5 fee will be charged beginning Friday, Oct. 7, for all participants, families and teams. In person registration and packet pickup will take place:
- Thursday, Oct. 6 from 4 to 9 p.m. downtown Kalamazoo at Gazelle Sports.
- Friday, Oct. 7, from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Student Recreation Center.
- Saturday, Oct. 8, 7 to 9 a.m. at the Student Recreation Center.
For more information, visit wmich.edu/campusclassic or call (269) 387-8402.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.