| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Twenty-three staff members are in the running for Western Michigan University's 2016 Make a Difference Annual Award.
The 23 candidates are recipients of the 2015-16 fall and spring semiannual awards through the Make a Difference program. As such, they are eligible to be considered for one of the four annual awards bestowed by this peer-to-peer staff recognition program.
Members of the WMU community have through Tuesday, May 31, to help decide who will be this year's "final four." The prestigious honor is reserved for the most outstanding employees—those who reach far beyond their assigned responsibilities to give generously and creatively of their time and talents, making the University an even finer place to work and study.
The award carries a $1,200 before-tax prize and will be presented Friday, Sept. 30, during the revamped Fall Convocation, previously named the Academic Convocation.
Annual award candidates
- Sheila Atherton, Accounts Receivable.
- Katherine Bates, Student Activities and Leadership Programs.
- Andrea Bau, College of Education and Human Development.
- Lauren Carney, College of Arts and Sciences.
- Earl Conner, Building Custodial and Support Services.
- Judy Custer, Haworth College of Business.
- Jayne P. Fraley-Burgett, Disability Services for Students.
- Adam Limban, Bronco Express Services.
- Nicole Lockwood-Womack, Office of Teacher and Administrator Certification.
- Kathleen MacKenzie, Department of Theatre.
- Delores J. Minshall, Office of Information Technology.
- Buffy Nespodzany, Career and Student Employment Services.
- Johnny L. Paige, Bernhard Center.
- Renee M. Pearl, Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
- Kenneth Schaefer, Office of Admissions.
- Teri Schrimpf, Office of Institutional Research.
- Karen M. Steeno, Career and Student Employment Services.
- Darcey Stevens, Department of Family and Consumer Sciences.
- Kim Tembreull, Department of Psychology.
- Stacy Thinnes, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.
- Cindy Town, Office of Institutional Equity.
- Joe VanDerBos, Sindecuse Health Center.
- Travis Wendt, Office of Information Technology.
A selection committee composed of representatives from each of the employee groups eligible for the award will select the winners. The committee will review new information submitted for the candidates, as well as the candidates' previously submitted semiannual nomination materials, before deciding which four candidates will win the Make a Difference Annual Award.
Any additional information submitted should include specific examples of how the candidate has demonstrated dedication to outstanding service. To assure candidates will remain anonymous, do not use their names or departments within the text of nominations. There is no need to resubmit the semiannual nomination materials.
Submitting additional information
Specific guidelines for submitting new information in support of any of this year's 23 annual award candidates is posted at wmich.edu/makeadifference. Additional information may be submitted to the selection committee in care of Human Resources by:
- Memo sent to mail stop 5217.
- Email message sent to email@example.com.
- Online submission form available at wmich.edu/makeadifference.
- Fax sent to (269) 387-3441.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.