| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The retirements of seven faculty members and 13 staff members were approved by the WMU Board of Trustees during its June 3 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on one faculty resignation and the stepping down of two departmental chairs, with one chair also granted a sabbatical leave.
All of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Hans J. Dykxhoorn, professor of accountancy, 37 years, effective Aug. 14, 2016.
- Dr. Lauren Freedman, professor of special education and literacy studies, 20 years, effective May 3, 2016.
- Dr. Mark C. Kerstetter, associate professor of computer science, 38 years, effective Dec. 31, 2015.
- Dr. Christopher M. Korth, professor of finance and commercial law, 22 years, effective July 31, 2016 (change in effective date only).
- Dr. Michael S. Pritchard, professor of philosophy, 48 years, effective June 30, 2016 (change in effective date only).
- Dr. Kathleen E. Sinning, professor of accountancy, 37 years, effective Aug. 14, 2016.
- Dr. Quentin Smith, professor of philosophy, 22 years, effective May 1, 2015.
- Bonnie S. Adduci, second cook, Valley #1 Dining Service, 18 years, effective July 31, 2015.
- Carol A. Carpenter, compliance manager, Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, 32 years, effective June 5, 2015.
- Robert D. Champion, millwright/maintenance mechanic, Facilities Management-maintenance services, 29 years, effective July 31, 2015.
- Mark Delorey, director, Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, 10 years, effective July 6, 2015.
- Lou Ann Grover, office coordinator, Department of Teaching, Learning and Educational Studies, 30 years, effective June 30, 2015.
- Blaine D. Kalafut, deputy police chief, Department of Public Safety, 38 years, effective June 30, 2015.
- Elizabeth W. Kuhle, head women's tennis coach, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, 32 years, effective June 30, 2015.
- Gail L. Kurtz, investment officer, Office of the Associate Vice President for Finance, 36 years, effective Feb. 29, 2016.
- Helene Landon, office associate, Valley #1 Dining Service, 10 years, effective Aug. 23, 2015.
- Charles K. Lantto, tradesperson, Facilities Management-landscape services, 34 years, effective July 31, 2015.
- Gaylene Luhman, operations analyst, Office of Information Technology, 33 years, effective May 31, 2015.
- Donald VanderRoest, carpenter, Facilities Management-maintenance services, 25 years, effective April 30, 2015.
- Margaret J. Watson, classroom technology consultant, Office of Information Technology, 33 years, effective May 15, 2015.
Other personnel items
- The faculty member resigning is Dr. Christopher A. Pearl, assistant professor of biological sciences, effective Aug. 16, 2015.
- The faculty members stepping down as administrators are Dr. Jonathan Bush, from chair of English, effective June 30, and Dr. Gene Freudenburg, from chair of mathematics, effective July 1, 2015.
- In addition to Freudenburg rejoining the faculty, he was granted a sabbatical leave, effective for fall 2015.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.