| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—The retirements of four faculty members and nine staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees during its Dec. 18, 2014, meeting.
Trustees also signed off on six faculty resignations as well as the return of one administrator to the faculty.
All of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Carol J. Crumbaugh, associate professor of teaching, learning and educational studies, 17 years, effective April 30, 2019.
- Dr. Marianne Frauenknecht, professor of human performance and health education, 25 years, effective June 30, 2015.
- Dr. Dennis D. Pence, associate professor of mathematics, 36 years, effective April 30, 2020.
- Dr. Joseph W. Petro Jr., master faculty specialist of engineering design, manufacturing and management systems, 22 years, effective Jan. 1, 2016.
- Chad H. Avery, arborist in landscape services, 22 years, effective Sept. 30, 2014.
- Brenda L. Boerger, physical therapist in the Sindecuse Health Center, 14 years, effective Nov. 17, 2014.
- Robert J. Brown, director of the Department of Public Safety, 41 years, effective Jan. 15, 2015.
- Daniel J. Chapo, manager of financial projects in the Office of the Associate Vice President for Finance, 12 years, effective Dec. 31, 2014.
- Nancy J. Johnson, assistant to the investment officer in the Office of the Associate Vice President for Finance, 35 years, effective Dec. 31, 2014.
- Judy A. Northey, utility person in cash operations, 12 years, effective Oct. 31, 2014.
- Valerie K. Simmons, custodian in building custodial and support services, 27 years, effective Aug. 5, 2014.
- Theodore L. Skartsiaris, manager of the Burnham Dining Service, 37 years, effective Dec. 31, 2014.
- George Wilson, senior engineer in maintenance services, 26 years, effective Oct. 20, 2014.
- Dr. George H. Brown, associate dean of the College of Fine Arts and professor of theatre, effective Jan. 2, 2015.
- Dr. Laila Cure, assistant professor of industrial and entrepreneurial engineering and engineering management, effective Dec. 21, 2014.
- Dr. Andrea Grant-Friedman, faculty specialist I-lecturer of sociology, effective Dec. 21, 2014.
- Dr. Nicholas Margelis, faculty specialist I-language specialist in the Center for English Language and Culture for International Students, effective Dec. 21, 2014.
- Dr. Christopher S. Smith, assistant professor of geography, effective Dec. 21, 2014.
- Dr. Nathan Venske, faculty specialist I-professional specialist of communication; effective Oct. 17, 2014.
Return to the faculty
- Dr. Said M. Abubakr, from chair of the Department of Chemical and Paper Engineering to professor of chemical and paper engineering, effective Jan. 2, 2015.