| WMU News
KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Members of the Western Michigan University community will gather Friday, Oct. 10, for the University's formal annual academic convocation that will honor standout faculty and staff members and provide a platform for WMU's president to set the direction for the coming year.
The event, set for 2 p.m. in the Dalton Center Recital Hall, will feature President John M. Dunn's annual State of the University address as well as a series of awards honoring faculty and staff achievements and service. Held during the opening weeks of fall semester classes, the annual convocation is designed as a signature event to welcome faculty, staff and students back to campus.
The traditional gathering to honor accomplishment and focus on the new academic year is free and open to the public. A reception, which also doubles as a campuswide gathering for employees called Fridays With Friends, will be held immediately following the convocation in the adjacent Richmond Center for Visual Arts.
During the convocation, awards will be presented to 11 members of the WMU faculty and staff for their outstanding service and achievement. They will be honored as recipients of major annual awards in five categories:
- Distinguished Service Award—for faculty and staff members who have provided exceptional service to the University and its faculty, students and community.
- Distinguished Teaching Award—for faculty members who are exceptional educators and mentors and have demonstrated outstanding dedication.
- Emerging Faculty Scholars—honoring early-career faculty members who have demonstrated the promise to achieve national and international renown.
- Make a Difference Award—for staff members who reach far beyond their assigned duties to make WMU an even better place to work and study.
- Distinguished Faculty Scholar—which recognizes outstanding academic or artistic achievement recognized within the larger national and international academic communities.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.
Glasser, Quada win Distinguished Service awards | Sept. 12, 2014
Two will be honored at convocation with Distinguished Teaching Awards | Sept. 23, 2014
University to honor its top four staffers for 2013-14 | Sept. 30, 2014
Two to receive WMU's Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award | Oct. 7, 2014
WMU philosopher-ethicist to be honored as an emerging scholar | Oct. 8, 2014