KALAMAZOO—Lane and street closures will re-route traffic from Western Michigan University's Waldo Stadium through downtown Kalamazoo Thursday, May 22, for the Girls on the Run 5k run and walk.
The detours will be in place prior to the start of the event at 6:30 p.m. and remain until 8 p.m. Some 2,000 girls ages 8 to 12 will leave Waldo Stadium and head downtown on Lovell Street on their 3.1-mile journey through the downtown streets then back on West Lovell to Waldo Stadium. Traffic will be routed around the downtown area to the east.
- Eastbound Stadium Drive between Howard and South streets.
- Oakland Drive between Howard and Lovell and South streets.
- Westnedge Avenue between Michigan Avenue and Vine Street.
- Park Street between Crosstown Parkway and Michigan Avenue.
- South Burdick Street between Michigan Avenue and Lovell Street.
- Additionally, lane closures will occur on South, Burdick, Vine, Dutton, Rose and Lovell streets.
Girls on the Run
Girls on the Run is a national program that is in its 12th year in the greater Kalamazoo area. The 5K is the culmination of the 10-week program. Girls will celebrate their successes, affirm the lessons they have learned and share their enthusiasm for running and healthy living with members of the community. The event is sponsored by Athleta, Mean Stinks and Lego Friends.