| WMU News
KALAMAZOO—The Western Michigan University sales and business marketing program once again has been named to the Sales Education Foundation's list of top university sales programs, identifying it as one of the leading programs for preparing and placing top talent in professional selling roles. The WMU program is one of fewer than 20 universities in the country, and the only one in Michigan, that offers a sales-focused business major to its students. With more than 250 students, the program is also one of the largest in the nation.
For 2012-13, the business college reported that more than 90 percent of the sales and business marketing graduates surveyed were employed full-time within six months of graduation. The WMU sales program is regularly lauded for its achievements in a number of areas.
- Student competition successes—During the past 10 years, students from the program have competed in 15 national sales competitions and brought home 13 trophies.
- Harold Zeigler Interactive Sales Lab—one of the top sales training facilities in the country.
- Sales and Business Marketing Association—One of the largest and most active student organizations in the college with more than 100 members. The SBMA hosts 25 employers each semester at weekly meetings.
- Study abroad—Sales students are one of the largest groups at WMU to participate in study abroad programs, gaining a global perspective of business.
- National recognition—Educational-portal.com lists the program as No. 2 on its list of Top U.S. Sales Schools.
According to the Sales Education Foundation, or SEF, more than 50 percent of college students in the United States enter sales careers, but a majority of them fail due to lack of professional preparation. The WMU sales program is providing its students the skills needed for success.
"Overall, our excellent students, faculty, curriculum and facilities form the strong foundation from which the SBM major has prospered to become one of the premier sales programs in the country," says Dr. Steve Newell, professor of marketing and one of the members of the sales faculty. "We are pleased by the continued recognition from the Sales Education Foundation. This acknowledgment of excellence is a testament to the hard work and dedication of our students and faculty."
The SBM program has been included on the SEF annual list since it began its rankings in 2004.