KALAMAZOO--The retirements of four faculty members and 13 staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its April 19 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on one faculty resignation as well as seven faculty changes in department affiliation.
Three of the faculty members who are retiring are doing so with emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Ronald B. Chase, professor of geosciences, 39 years, effective Aug. 31, 2012
- Dr. Richard R. MacDonald, assistant professor of sociology, 45 years, effective Dec. 31, 2012
- Dr. William F. Santiago-Valles, associate professor of African studies, 13 years, effective Dec. 31, 2012
The other retiring faculty member is Dr. G. Thomas Ray, associate professor of teaching, learning and educational studies, 20 years, effective Dec. 31, 2012.
- Crista Boyle, assistant manager in Valley II Dining Service, 17 years, effective June 30, 2012
- Satit Chamigranont, coordinator of documents/library in University Libraries, 20 years, effective April 15, 2012
- Marianne DeAngelis, second cook in Valley I Dining Service, 11 years, effective Jan. 13, 2012
- Alexander A. Gray, refrigeration repairperson in Facilities Management-maintenance services, 12 years, effective July 1, 2012
- John H. Horton, supervisor of the computer science lab in the Department of Computer Science, 11 years, effective Feb. 29, 2012
- Betty L. Kirk, supervisor in Facilities Management-building custodial and support services, 31 years, effective March 31, 2012
- Nancy A. McFadden, case manager in the Office of the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, 10 years, effective March 30, 2012
- Gayle S. McMillon, office coordinator in the Lee Honors College, 30 years, effective June 30, 2012
- Russell P. Northey, manager in Facilities Management-power plant, 22 years, effective June 30, 2012
- Munselle H. Pientka, office coordinator in the Department of Human Performance and Health Education, 11 years, effective June 8, 2012
- David S. Prentice, utility journeyperson in Facilities Management-power plant, 31 years, effective June 30, 2012
- Gail Heflin-Puffer, custodian in Facilities Management-building custodial and support services, 34 years, effective March 31, 2012
- Susan R. Reed-Williams, classroom technology consultant lead in the Office of Information Technology, 26 years, effective March 31, 2012
Other personnel changes
The faculty member resigning is: Dr. Deanna Swoboda, associate professor of music, effective Aug. 19, 2012.
All of the changes in department affiliation are to the School of Interdisciplinary Health Programs and effective May 2, 2012. The faculty members joining the school, along with their current affiliations, are:
- Dr. John H. Coons, associate professor of counseling services
- Dr. Janet S. Hahn, assistant professor of speech pathology and audiology
- Dr. Kathryn Lewis-Ginebaugh, associate professor of social work
- Dr. Doris J. Ravotas, assistant professor of blindness and low vision studies
- Dr. Glinda J. Rawls, assistant professor of counseling services
- Dr. Mark W. St. Martin, assistant professor of counseling services
- Dr. Delores D. Walcott, professor of counseling services