The Western Michigan University School of Music offers a Master of Music degree in five areas of concentration:
- Performance (instrumental, jazz studies, keyboard, voice)
- Music education (four-summer program)
- Music therapy
This degree is designed to enhance students' teaching, performing, research and creative abilities in music.
View our masters programs in the graduate catalog.
How to apply
- Complete a graduate admission application to Western Michigan University. For admission and general information regarding graduate study, visit the graduate programs and admissions page at the Graduate College website. There is no additional application to the School of Music. As part of the application process you must send an official transcript from all post-secondary institutions attended to the Office of Admissions, but it is no longer necessary to send transcripts to the School of Music.
- Contact the appropriate faculty member for specifics about additional requirements for your degree program. These include:
Performance and conducting: arranging an audition
Music therapy: submitting three letters of recommendation
Composition: submitting three to four completed scores, and recordings if available
If you are unsure of whom to contact, please contact David Code, graduate advisor, at email@example.com or (269) 387-4675.
- Complete a graduate assistantship application if you'd like to be considered for a GA position. Not all GA positions are available each year, so check with appropriate faculty for availability. GA applications do require letters of recommendation or the completion of graduate program reference forms by three individuals. The deadline for assistantship applications is Feb. 15. More information is available on the graduate assistantships page.
For questions about graduate studies, contact David Code, graduate advisor , at firstname.lastname@example.org or (269) 387-4675.