Guidelines for the Music 3500 Extra Credit essay (worth 50 possible points)
Due on Wednesday, December 6--the last class meeting before the final exam– (cannot be turned in earlier or later than that)
The purpose of this extra credit is for you to consider the concepts of "American" music that we have discussed this semester and apply them to a recent piece of American music.
Write an essay:
- 250 words minimum/ 500 words maximum (must fit on one side of a single sheet of 8.5 x 11 inch paper--NO FOLDERS just a single sheet)
(not handwritten) single-spaced
- Put your name on it
1. Must be about a musical work written and performed by American(s) AFTER the year 2000.
2. In your essay, discuss the following, in this order:
- Background about the piece (date, composer, performer, what category of music this piece represents)
- Briefly say why you chose this particular work
- What traits about this work are "American"? (What "American" values is this work promoting?)
- What did you learn about the artist(s) and about American music from researching and writing this paper?