John Patten, Ph.D.
Department of Manufacturing Engineering
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008-5336
Office: C-245 Parkview Campus
Phone: (269) 276-3246
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Precision Engineering, North Carolina State University 1996
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University 1982
- B.S. in Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering, General Motors Institute 1976
- Dr. Patten was hired as the first Chair of the Manufacturing Engineering Department at Western Michigan University in August 2003. Professor Patten is also the first Director of the Manufacturing Research Center at WMU. Dr. Patten is charged with developing the Manufacturing Research Center at WMU.
- Professor Patten developed the Manufacturing Engineering Technology program at UNC Charlotte in 1986. This manufacturing program was interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary. As part of the manufacturing program, Professor Patten established the Computer Integrated Manufacturing Laboratory that housed the university's CAD/CAM and robotics facilities.
- Professor Patten started the Precision Engineering program at UNC Charlotte in 1988.
- Dr. Patten was the catalyst behind the formation (1992) of the Carolinas' Consortium for Alternatively Fueled Electric Vehicles. Dr. Patten was co-director of this organization. This consortium provided integration of activities and transfer of technology through its electric vehicle programs, such as conferences and technical exposition.
- Computer integrated manufacturing (CIM)
- Precision engineering
- Computer Process Control
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowships, 2000-2001/2002-2003
- Outstanding Faculty Mentor, 1999 - NC (L.S.) Alliance for Minority Participation in Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology (sponsored by NSF)
- Certified Manufacturing Engineer, CMfgE, Professional Engineering Registration, P.E.
- ASHRAE Energy Award (1985), Mohasco Corporation
- "High Pressure Phase Transformation of Silicon Nitride", 2003 (Appl. Phys. Lett.), J. Patten, Robert Nemanich, Jennifer Huenin, et al.
- "Study of Ductile Machining of Silicon Nitride", 2001, T.G. Kumbera, J.A. Patten, H.P. Cherukuri, C.J. Brand, T.D. Marusich, Int. J. of Machining Science and Technology, Vol.5, No. 3, 341-352.
- "Extreme Negative Rake Angle Technique for Single Point Diamond Nano-Cutting of Silicon", 2001, Precision Engineering, J.A. Patten, W. Gao, Vol.25, No.2, 165-167.
- "On the Development of Surface Temperatures in Precision Single-point Diamond Abrasion of Semi-conductors", 1997, H. A. Abdel-Aal, S.T. Smith, J.A. Patten, Int. Comm. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 1131-1140.
- "Thermal Imaging with Near-Field Microscope", 1997, B.D. Boudreau, J. Raya, R. Hocken, S. Patterson, and J. Patten. Rev. Sci. Inst. Vol. 68, pp. 3096-3098.
- "High Pressure Phase Transformation Analysis and Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Single Point Diamond Turning of Germanium", 1996, J.A. Patten. PhD Dissertation, NCSU.