- Green Manufacturinh Initiative Managers at busy manufacturing companies have to find a balance between the work they need to do to get product out the door...
- Sustainabitlity Community Voices Listen to Dr. David Meade and Bill Small as guests on WGVU an NPR station, for their interview on green manufacturing.
Nathan Christensen completed Purdue Universities Green Generalist online class in the summer of 2011. The class focuses on teaching students and professionals about general environmental awareness principles prevalent throughout the manufacturing industry.
- Consortium studying ways to recycle scrap powder paint - Manufacturers that have powder paint operations have long struggled with what to do with the 40-50 percent of the powder that gets wasted in normal applications.
- Manufacturing holding steady despite uncertainty - The automotive industry, always a primary part of Michigan's manufacturing world, is finally showing some signs of growth, but it is unclear how important that growth is to Kalamazoo County.
- Rapid-Line focuses on energy overhead - Rather than worry about business factors he cannot control, Mark Lindquist, president of Rapid-Line Inc., has set his sights squarely on a familiar target: energy usage.
- Thought Leader in Energy John Patten: Driving automotive advances - John Patten is a self-described "car guy." He worked for General Motors in the 1970s, and some of his greatest energy accomplishments involve alternative-energy vehicles. As the director of Western Michigan University's Manufacturing Research Center, Patten last year launched the Green Manufacturing Initiative and the Green Manufacturing Industrial Consortium.
- Green Manufacturing Practices in America can Help Profits, will Help Planet - It's a perfect storm - but a positive one. Two strong forces today are converging in the U.S. manufacturing sector that can deliver a whirlwind of benefits for those companies and the environment.
- MRC Annual Recycling Award Winner - 2011 Annual Michigan Recycles Coalition Award granted to the Green Manufacturing Initiative for the research of the lithium ion batteries. Dr. David Meade received the award at the annual MRC conference in Lansing on May 10th.
- Green Manufacturing Requires Educated Workers - Western Michigan University's (Kalamazoo, MI) Manufacturing Research Center is helping manufacturers to "green up" their manufacturing plants, processes, and products through the Green Manufacturing Initiative (GMI).
- Green Manufacturing Gains Traction in Southwest
Michigan - Joint projects between academia and industry have focused on topics from bio-waste to energy efficient facility improvements and chemical remediation of hazardous waste.
- WMU's Green Manufacturing Industrial Consortium continues to grow - Western Michigan University's Green Manufacturing Industrial Consortium is halfway to its initial goal of six member companies, and it's looking to continue that growth.
- Energy Kaizen: Landscape Forms taps local partners for comprehensive energy program - Like many manufacturers across the region, Landscape Forms Inc. has tried over the past couple of years to identify how best to apply principles of sustainability within its operations. The Kalamazoo-based maker of landscape furnishings has little room for error.
- A plan for electric cars' spent lithium ion batteries - Mass production of lithium-ion batteries from local plants for electric cars is still a year away, but Western Michigan University students already are working on how they will be used once their days on the road are through.
- Western Michigan University builds its Green Manufacturing Industrial Consortium - As Western Michigan University enters the second year of its Green Manufacturing Initiative, its consortium is now getting into gear.
- Western Michigan University has won more than $21 million in grants the past six months - Since the beginning of the university's fiscal year on July 1, WMU has collected more than $21 million in grants.
- Patten pending positivity - Engineering graduates appear to be entering a world where they're in demand by manufacturers of all kinds, and that should be a sign that companies are doing better.
- Landscape Forms, Fabri-Kal come on board WMU green manufacturing initiative
- Two Kalamazoo-area businesses will receive assessments designed to help them develop greener business practices now that they have joined Western Michigan University's green manufacturing initiative.
- John Patten shepherds Green Manufacturing Initiative at Western Michigan University - Call it green. Call it doing right by the environment. Just don't call it sustainable.
- Barcelona sees growth in green chemistry - Michael Barcelona likes to think he's had a fortunate career, going from a kid who "wanted to blow things up" to a lengthy stint in academe and industry that has provided him opportunities to find innovative approaches to protect the environment.
- Southwest Michigan's Second Wave - Green manufacturing is topic for two days of events at WMU
Congressmen Fred Upton visits WMU announcing $1 Million for Green Manufacturing Program
View more pictures of Congressmen Fred Upton's visit here
- Green Initiative Gets Go-ahead - Feeling green about green manufacturing? Don't fret, help is on the way.
- South Bend Tribune - Western Michigan University last week scored $1 million for green engineering studies.
Kalamazoo Gazette Document - WMU to use federal money to help companies go 'green'
Western Herald - One Million dollars to Green Manufacturing Initiative at WMU
- Western News - WMU getting $1 million for Green Project
- Consortium for Advanced Manufacturing of Alternative and Renewable Energy Technologies (CAMARET)
- Mbiz News - WMU's Dr. Green