Mechanical engineers plan and design machines, tools, engines, and other equipment or systems that produce or use power. They design products such as instruments, controls, engines and machines as well as mechanical, thermal, hydraulic and heat transfer systems.
They plan and direct fabrication of test control apparatus and equipment in addition to developing methods and procedures for testing products and services. Mechanical engineers direct and coordinate construction and installation activities to ensure conformance with engineering design and customer specifications. They coordinate operation, maintenance and repair activities to get the best use of machines and systems. Mechanical engineers may also evaluate field installations and recommend design changes to eliminate malfunctions.
Mechanical Engineering B.S. - has department requirements and a list of required courses to receive a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
ACCELERATED MASTER'S DEGREE
- For program guidelines see current graduate catalog: Master of Science in engineering (mechanical - accelerated)
- All students must read and comply with the university's guidelines for the accelerated degree programs located at the registrar's web page
See Murali Ghantasala, graduate advisor, for all questions regarding the accelerated master's program.
Every semester that you register for one of ME 5950, 6950, 6970, 7000, or 7100 you must fill the following form, obtain your advisor’s signature, and submit it to Murali Ghantasala.
WMU Mediasite instructional video links:
- In order to learn how to register for thesis credits (ME 7000).
- In order to learn how to form a committee.
- In order to learn how to file an audit, first you have to fill out the application for graduation audit.
- Next, you have to fill out the master’s graduate permanent program.