Sales and Business Marketing Major
What can I expect from a sales and business marketing major?
The sales and business marketing major has an intense sales-focused curriculum and prepares graduates to start their careers in professional sales and business marketing. The sales and business marketing major at WMU is considered one of the best sales programs in the country, and was recently named a "Top University Sales Program" by the Sales Education Foundation.
Review the requirements for this major in the WMU catalog.
- Courses in the fundamentals of selling, advanced selling techniques and theories.
- Harold Zeigler Interactive Sales Lab for role-playing and negotiation exercises
Check out additional resources from The Career Center about the sales and business marketing major.
Which student organization should I join?
Many students join the Sales & Business Marketing Association.
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Jim Eckert
Open to all majors, strongly recommended that all SBM majors join.
- Network with 20-25 employers per semester leading to internship & employment opportunities
- Increase professionalism
- Gain insight into the multi-faceted world of sales via interactions with companies, alumni and faculty
- Attend social opportunites and fun events
- Meals included at all meeting!
Other marketing related organizations also may be of interest to students.
What can I expect from a sales career?
- Goal-oriented environment where performance and compensation are often linked.
- People- and process-focused jobs -- great sales people bring together great communication and organizational skills.
- More freedom, but also more responsibility than traditional employees.
- Better good days and worse bad days because sales people are the point person for organizations.
- Widely differing positions: Some positions are mainly prospecting and cold calling while others are mainly servicing existing clients; some are inside focused (phone-based) and some are outside (face-to-face); still others focus mainly on business-to-business markets while some focus on business-to-consumer marketings.
- Sales careers open up other career paths in many firms. Many executives have been in sales roles.
Check out additional resources from The Career Center about sales careers.
Transfer Student Information
Students thinking about transferring to the Haworth College of Business should review the transfer guides for their community college and contact an academic advisor.