It is that time of the year again to consider joining the BMB! The information about being part of BMB as a non Western student is now available in the top menubar and here. The link on the top will stay visible likely until band camp. There is also a printable version on the bottom of that page.
Hi everyone! Sorry for the outage/lack of features for the past 4 or so days. In my last post, I mentioned I had to upload database files in chunks (which was a pain) but luckily the next day, OIT had fixed the issue associated with that problem. Unfortunately around that same time, it completely broke the ability for me to edit and make posts. I’ll spare the sob story and say that the lack of www in front of the wmich.edu was pretty much the problem. It wasn’t an issue 4ish days ago but it is now. Since this took me two minutes to fix, I pretty much feel like this:
On another note, I am now running an exact clone of the marching band site as it was on my test server rather than something that I wasn’t sure fully worked so I have that going for me which is nice. I also would like to point out that I only uploaded one database file instead of 46. That makes me feel pretty good.
On an ending note, I am looking for a good picture showing our color guard in action. I’ve found a few pictures but my pickings are a bit slim. If anyone has a few cool images of the colorguard, I would greatly appreciate you contacting the webmaster from the Contact Page.
9:54AM March 11th, 2014 Edit: Turns out all of my problems existed because Western now requires admins who are making some changes to VPN to campus. If the www issue did legitimately exist, it wasn’t the only problem. The gif still applies to how I feel.
Hey all! Sorry for the brief outage between midnight and 1:30AMish. There are a few changes that have been made that I would like people to know about:
- Little change in colors. This is a result of the existence of Western’s Visual Identity site. I’m sure complaints on non compliance on visual standards were going to start pouring in like orders for McRibs whenever McDonald’s decides to bring them back (top secret, it is when pork prices are down) so I decided to make the entire site conform. That being said I am aware that some colors (like the red on some of the links) don’t look super good with the current color scheme. This is both a contrast issue and a…not look good issue. I am working on it.
- Updated plugins. This includes a Google Analytics monitor because my sources tells me this site gets more traffic than Western’s homepage. My stats program says around 50,000 hits a day so I want to see (a) if Google Analytics works (b) If it truly is that much, it definitely is time for a good Anchorman Gif. It even gets its own bullet point.
- I have also added a ColorGuard frequently asked questions page with answers provided by the lovely and talented Kyle Keiser. If any ColorGuard members notice there is something super obvious that is missing please contact me through the contact page on this site. If any upcoming members have questions that are not covered on any of the frequently asked questions pages, feel free to contact me and I can direct your question to the appropriate channel. After that, I should be able to update the FAQ.
- I removed the “www.” in front of the url so anyone that types it in will automatically redirected to http://wmich.edu/marchingband and it should be super seamless. Try it. Right now. My decision to do this is a result of me not wanting to type “www” in front of two database entries but it may cut Internet Explorer 4 support. As much as I would like to keep the site working for those using ancient browsers, I’m pretty sure this is the least of your worries.
If you see a bug, contact me if you think it should be fixed. I might not know about it.
- Western’s database side of things did not like any of my database files so I had to use a program to split my 89 Megabyte file (which apparently is huge as far as databases go) into files around 2 Megabytes. There were 46 of them. I had to upload 46 files individually using the interface. I wrote down the numbers so I could make sure I didn’t miss any of them. I’m sure many of you would like to contact me and tell me how my life is so terrible that I had to click upload, go, and import over and over while watching YouTube videos but not to worry, I submitted a trouble ticket to the IT helpdesk. I don’t think I was very specific so they might not respond to it so I’ll have to complain about it when I have to upload database files in the future. I’m sure I can find a way to make it smaller too.
- Also, if you want to sign up for an audition for the site, do it now. It should be set so you you can edit your entry so you can always go back and change it.
- Yes I know the site is slow. It also is slow on my super secret test site. I’m working on it. Stay tuned!