Hey all! Sorry for the brief outage between midnight and 1:30AMish. There are a few changes that have been made that I would like people to know about:
- Little change in colors. This is a result of the existence of Western’s Visual Identity site. I’m sure complaints on non compliance on visual standards were going to start pouring in like orders for McRibs whenever McDonald’s decides to bring them back (top secret, it is when pork prices are down) so I decided to make the entire site conform. That being said I am aware that some colors (like the red on some of the links) don’t look super good with the current color scheme. This is both a contrast issue and a…not look good issue. I am working on it.
- Updated plugins. This includes a Google Analytics monitor because my sources tells me this site gets more traffic than Western’s homepage. My stats program says around 50,000 hits a day so I want to see (a) if Google Analytics works (b) If it truly is that much, it definitely is time for a good Anchorman Gif. It even gets its own bullet point.
- I have also added a ColorGuard frequently asked questions page with answers provided by the lovely and talented Kyle Keiser. If any ColorGuard members notice there is something super obvious that is missing please contact me through the contact page on this site. If any upcoming members have questions that are not covered on any of the frequently asked questions pages, feel free to contact me and I can direct your question to the appropriate channel. After that, I should be able to update the FAQ.
- I removed the “www.” in front of the url so anyone that types it in will automatically redirected to http://wmich.edu/marchingband and it should be super seamless. Try it. Right now. My decision to do this is a result of me not wanting to type “www” in front of two database entries but it may cut Internet Explorer 4 support. As much as I would like to keep the site working for those using ancient browsers, I’m pretty sure this is the least of your worries.
If you see a bug, contact me if you think it should be fixed. I might not know about it.
- Western’s database side of things did not like any of my database files so I had to use a program to split my 89 Megabyte file (which apparently is huge as far as databases go) into files around 2 Megabytes. There were 46 of them. I had to upload 46 files individually using the interface. I wrote down the numbers so I could make sure I didn’t miss any of them. I’m sure many of you would like to contact me and tell me how my life is so terrible that I had to click upload, go, and import over and over while watching YouTube videos but not to worry, I submitted a trouble ticket to the IT helpdesk. I don’t think I was very specific so they might not respond to it so I’ll have to complain about it when I have to upload database files in the future. I’m sure I can find a way to make it smaller too.
- Also, if you want to sign up for an audition for the site, do it now. It should be set so you you can edit your entry so you can always go back and change it.
- Yes I know the site is slow. It also is slow on my super secret test site. I’m working on it. Stay tuned!