Human resource management
A human resource management major at Western Michigan University will give you the specialized skills to manage and develop others. The major emphasizes tested concepts essential for a successful career in human resources, industrial relations or management. These include human resource planning, managing a diverse workforce, staffing, compensation, employee relations, and organizational development and change. Upon successful completion of this program, you will be prepared for graduate studies in human resources or a career in business, unions, industrial relations or law.
Ready to work with others and hone your communication and management skills? Then take a look at why a human resource management degree is right for you!
pride in our program
Through teaching, research and service, our program will equip you with the skills needed to excel in relationship building, engagement and development of organizational culture. What does our program offer?
- An emphasis on career planning and promotion of the Society of Human Resource Management’s (SHRM) professional certification examinations.
- Faculty with international experience, extensive industry experience and published research in leading journals.
- Merit awards for the student SHRM chapter.
- MGMT 2520—Human Resource Management
- MGMT 2750—Analytical Foundation
- MGMT 4070—Change Management
- MGMT 4320—Compensation and Benefits
- MGMT 4510—Staffing Organizations
- MGMT 4540—Employment Relations
Two electives required:
- FIN 3600—Risk and Insurance
- FIN 3730—Retirement Planning and Employee Benefits
- LAW 3840—Criminal Law and Procedure
- MFE 3400—Design for People at Work
- MGMT 3010—Project Management
- MGMT 3500—Managing Diversity in Organizations
- MGMT 4100—Multinational Management
95% of our human resource management graduates are actively engaged within three months of graduation. In addition, 96% of new HR graduates report satisfaction with their job.
Some of our employers
- General Motors
If you have questions related to your coursework or seek career advising, contact:
Dr. Robert Landeros
Office: 3396 Schneider | (269) 387-5802
Email Robert Landeros
Dr. Kyle Brink
Office: 3276 Schneider | (269) 387-6063
Email Kyle Brink