Educational Leadership, Research and Technology
Application Requirements for
Admission Procedures and Dates
In order to be considered for admission, all required material must be received by the deadline dates, and students must meet the minimum criteria established. Applicants will be selected based upon meeting the criteria and personal fit to the program goals and objectives. The total number of applicants accepted will depend upon the quality of individual applicants as well as available resources to support students in the program.
Application packages must be complete and contain the following items:
- Graduate Application Form
- Official GRE scores (for the General GRE exam, WMU's GRE code is 1902).
*Applicant must have scores within the 50th percentile or better for the GRE Verbal Reasoning, GRE Quantitative Reasoning, and GRE Analytical Writing components. If applicants do not meet these test score minimums, they must add a page within their "Career and Professional Goals Statement" that addresses this concern, describing how they would secure assistance with their writing and/or mathematical skills (as needed) to successfully complete the program, and justifying why they should be considered for this program.
- One Official Transcript from every higher education institution you have ever attended (except WMU), even if you did not receive a completed degree from them. *Applicant must have a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of 3.0 or better as indicated on an official transcript.
Send Part A to:
Office of Admissions, 1903 W. Michigan Avenue, Western Michigan University,
Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5211
- Three Graduate Reference Forms , completed by 3 different individuals in a position to address the applicant’s ability to successfully complete doctoral-level work.
- Professional Vita or Resume with a detailed summary of leadership experience. *Applicant must have three years of professional career or leadership experience.
- Career and Professionals Goals Narrative in which an applicant clearly describes his/her professional goals, and how this doctoral program fits with those goals. (Note: this narrative should be no more than 4 double-spaced pages, and will be considered as a writing sample from the applicant. It must also include information about an applicant's GRE scores if they are below the minimum required).
- Completed Program Concentration Selection Form (This document may be saved to your computer, completed on screen, saved again, and attached to an e-mail).
Send Part B to:
Diane Bourgeois, Graduate Program Coordinator
1903 West Michigan Ave.
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo, MI, 49008-5283
Or drop off at 3571 Sangren Hall
All of the general GRE exam scores must be submitted by the application deadline. GRE tests are offered daily at testing centers. It often takes several weeks to schedule a testing time and it takes at least three weeks for your results to be sent to the University. So please keep this in mind as you prepare your application.
The Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology hires graduate students, as needed, to assist faculty with research and program development. In addition, usually one Graduate Teaching Assistant position is available to teach certain undergraduate educational technology courses. Students applying for any of these positions typically must have familiarity with educational systems (K-12 and/or higher education). To apply as a new student, or to re-apply as an existing student, send a letter of interest and a current resume to Diane Bourgeois at no later than February 15th of a given year. Decisions about GA/DA positions are usually made in early Spring for the following Fall semester.
Applicants interested in applying for any WMU fellowships must apply by Jan. 15, using the directions posted by the Graduate College.
Questions? Contact (269) 387-3896