World Languages and Literatures
Studies in Linguistics
What is Linguistics and why study it?
What are the Classes?
Who are the Faculty?
What would I ask a Linquist?
Linguistics at WMU facilitates the interdisciplinary study, exploration and analysis of language, using theories and methodologies commmon to the social sciences, with the goal of preparing students for careers in fields such as:
- teaching and pedagogy,
- interpreting and translating,
- information technology,
- clinical speech practition,
- public policy,
- international relations, and
- international commerce.
Linguistics prepares students for advanced studies in:
- general linguistics (applied and theoretical),
- language-specific linguistics,
- second language acquisition,
- foreign and classical languages, and
- social science.
The Linguistics Working Group promotes the study of language science at WMU through:
- innovative teaching,
- curricular teamwork,
- student mentoring,
- faculty collaboration, and
- research excellence.
Department of English
Department of World Languages and Literatures
Department of Spanish
Departmetn of Speech Pathology and Audiology