This policy sets forth the regulations for the use of Western Michigan University's network, known as WMUnet.
This policy applies to everyone using network services of Western Michigan University, whether on campus, at regional sites, or through dial-up services.
- Network services and wiring may not be modified or extended beyond the area of their intended use. This applies to all network wiring, hardware, and jacks.
- The network may not be used to provide Internet access to anyone outside of the University community for any purposes. WMU-specific or commercially obtained network resources may not be retransmitted outside of the University community.
- The network is a shared resource. Thus, network use or applications which inhibit or interfere with the use of the network by others are not permitted. (For example, using an IP address not registered to you, or applications which use an unusually high portion of the bandwidth for extended periods of time, thus inhibiting the use of the network by others, are not permitted). Use of the network must comply with all University's policies.
- Forgery or other misrepresentation of one's identity via electronic or any other form of communication is a violation. Prosecution under State and Federal laws may also apply.
- Only those Bronco NetID or computer accounts for which the resident has authorization may be used.
You are not allowed to use your connection to:
- Run a business or organization for profit or non-profit purposes.
- Monitor data on the network by means of any monitoring or "sniffing" software.
- Provide a pass-through site to other campus hosts, provide remote login (e.g. telnet access) on your computer for others than yourself.
- Set up a router to provide wireless connections.
- Provide information to others on the Network such as newsfeeds, Anonymous FTP site, BBS, UUCP site, web hosting, etc.
- Harass, libel, or slander anyone or fraudulent representations.
- Copy or transmit copyrighted material.
- Post or send obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, or offensive material.
- Post or send material that is contrary to the mission or values of the University.
The Office of Information Technology at Western Michigan University provides wired and wireless connection services in support of the educational mission of the University. It is the responsibility of each person utilizing these services to use them appropriately and in compliance with all University, City, County, State, and Federal laws and regulations.
- The Office of Information Technology reserves the right to terminate any network connection without notice should it be determined that network traffic generated from said connection drastically inhibits or interferes with the use of the network by others.
- Failure to comply with this policy may result in termination of network services and loss of computing resource privileges. In addition, any person found to be in violation of this policy will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action as defined by current University policy and bargaining agreements.
Revised: June 2008