WMU Secure Survey is the survey/polling tool available for use by WMU faculty, staff and students. The software allows people to take surveys via the Web. The use of secure survey is provided for the support of business, academic and research needs of the University. Any use prohibits the collection of private information unless it has been authorized by the information security team and/or the Human Subjects Institutional Review Board.
- 21 different question types, including single answer, multiple answer, open ended, and ranking.
- Ability to sum responses across questions (e.g. to form a psychological scale).
- Data exports to Excel/CSV and SPSS file types.
- Powerful page condition logic, including the ability to skip questions based on a response or transferring responses from a past question to a new one.
- Easily modifiable look and feel.
- Question libraries.
- Advanced reporting console.
- Email invites and lists.
More information about WMU Secure Survey features.
WMU Secure Survey is hosted on servers owned and operated by the Office of Information Technology.
Types of use
Students may use secure survey for fully approved honors theses, master's theses, or dissertation proposals after HSIRB approval is obtained. Secure Survey cannot be used for class projects or by registered student organizations. In these situations students are directed to online survey tools such as Survey Monkey.
Students cannot request WMU email lists or use GoWMU announcements to recruit survey participants.
Faculty may use secure survey for approved HSIRB research. Faculty can request WMU email lists and use GoWMU announcements to recruit survey participants.
Official University surveys by administrative offices are not limited by the above. However, approval to deploy surveys must be obtained from the director of electronic communication in the Office of University Relations. Requests should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or (269) 387-8400.
WMU staff researchers may use secure survey in the same manner as faculty researchers..
Email lists targeting specific faculty, staff or student populations can be requested from the Office of Information Technology at email@example.com.
Except for official University messages, the sending of mass emails to students is prohibited. Official messages are those authorized by the president of the University, senior academic officer, senior business officer, senior student affairs officer, chief information officer, or by university relations, which serves as the clearinghouse for mass email messages. Students may be reached using a targeted GoWMU announcement. To request a GoWMU announcement, contact the Office of University Relations at (269) 387-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Surveys are entered into WMU secure survey (survey.wmich.edu) by a survey creator. The survey creator may be a designated person in a department, college or office who has been granted access to create surveys in secure survey. To request that access, contact the Office of University Relations at (269) 387-8400 or email@example.com. Otherwise, the WMU secure survey administrator will enter your survey. To request that the WMU secure survey administrator enter your survey please email firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to an electronic copy of your survey (please spell check and edit it very carefully first), you will need to supply the following:
- For HSIRB research, an electronic copy of the consent letter.
- An electronic copy of your email list.
- Beginning and ending deployment dates.
- Type of access (for example, anonymous, Bronco NetID login required).
- How to handle attempts to retake the survey or update an attempt.
- The text of your deployment message.
- Action taken after the survey participant completes the survey.
The survey creator will enter your survey and send you information on how to access, review and approve it.
- Upon agreement that the survey is ready to be deployed, the survey creator will perform a test deployment that includes the survey owner.
- After a successful test deployment, the survey will be sent to the email list provided by the survey owner. Surveys are taken at survey.wmich.edu.
- The survey owner will be sent a link to view the results.
- Survey results will be available to download or view online.
Recruiting survey participants
WMU has several guidelines and policies in place regarding the appropriate use of student, faculty and staff email addresses or GoWMU announcements as a means of recruiting survey participants.
- All email requests that are sent out to participants must abide by the WMU rules on use of mass email for research policy.
- Access to WMU email addresses for research purposes is limited to WMU students, faculty and staff and requires approval of the Human Subjects Institutional Review Board and the approval of the chief information officer of the University.
- Except for official University messages, the sending of mass emails to students is prohibited. Official messages are those authorized by the president of the University, senior academic officer, senior business officer, senior student affairs officer, chief information officer, or by university relations, which serves as the clearinghouse for mass email messages. Students may be reached using a targeted GoWMU announcement. To request a GoWMU announcement, contact the Office of University Relations at (269) 387-8400 or email@example.com.
Approved: August 2012