To ensure that all hardware and software purchased is compatible with the University's networking and data environments and to enhance cost efficiency in meeting University strategic planning goals.
The review process is intended to ensure that:
- Data integrity and security is maintained in all aspects of data collection and distribution.
- Products are integrated with other University systems and/or data.
- All hardware and software will operate effectively in the University environment.
- Best pricing is obtained via purchasing consolidation, and meets all University contract review criteria.
- A review of licensing agreements is performed.
- Clear expectations for maintenance, licensing, network connectivity, etc., exist.
Any department or individual using University funds to purchase hardware (other than desktop/laptop computers) or software must first request a product review.
The review process applies to:
- Products purchased that will be connected to the network.
- Products used for ongoing instructional use.
- Products installed on more than a few computers within a department.
- Products that will be housed in the University Computing Center machine room.
- Products that collect data as identified in the University classification system.
For more information, and to begin a review process, please see the product review process.
Approved: June 2009
Revised: Data and System Governance Committee, Mar. 2013