Web resources for improving English skills
- Praat Language Lab—Software to improve spoken English
- Podcasts—for ESL listening
- Common student questions
These listening materials are designed to help you become better acquainted with a variety of typical student questions, common idioms used within them, and fast, reduced speech—a manner of speaking often used by American students. Most of the questions in these materials are generic questions; they could be heard in nearly any class or lab.
Following are resources for listening practice, as well as cultural information. The first website allows you to take a quiz to self-assess your understanding.
- Pronouncing individual sounds—View videos of people pronouncing individual sounds that may be difficult for you to pronounce.
- Audio dictionary—Hear new words.
- Vocabulary-building—This is a collection of the most commonly written words in academic English, as researched by A. Coxhead at Massey University, New Zealand.
Videos about teaching
- Thousands of video lectures from the world's top scholars
- Teaching in America: A Guide for International Faculty
- The Act of Teaching
- The Art of Discussion Leading
- The Art of Lecture
- Interactive Teaching Methods
- From Questions to Concepts: Interactive Teaching in Physics
- I Do - I understand – Engineering Lab at CU Boulder
- For first year teachers: What NOT to do in the computer lab
- Perils of the teacher-centered classroom
- What Students Want: Teaching from a Student's Perspective
- How to Speak: Lecture Tips from Patrick Winston
- TA Training Exam
- Power of Nonverbal Communication
- The Disruptive Student
- The Unexpected Student Question
- The Blame Game
- Culture Shock: International Students in the United States
- Effective Course Design
- Generating Student Participation
- What if My Students Can't Understand Me?
- TED Talks: Leaders in various fields give 18 minute talks that inform and inspire
Web resources for improving teaching skills
- Master teachers narrate various videos that demonstrate their best teaching practices
- Teaching Guide for Graduate Student Instructor--University of California Berkley
- Videos and discussion questions about classroom situations from the University of Connecticut
- Teaching Tips Index – University of Hawaii
- University of Minnesota Center for Teaching and Learning – Online workshops and tutorials
- A Vision of University Students Today
- How to design visual aids
- Checklist for international teaching assistants
- Professors discuss their goals for the first class day in five disciplines