Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245 USA
- M.I.D.A., International Development Administration, Western Michigan University
- B.A., French and Spanish, Western Michigan University
- A.A., Kalamazoo Valley Community College
As an undergraduate at Western Michigan University Rebecca Solomon took part in her first two study abroad experiences—one at Institut de Touraine in Tours, and one at Université de Grenoble Alpes in Grenoble, both in France. These experiences solidified her interest in travel, other cultures, and interacting with people from around the world. Starting as an undergraduate and continuing to the present Rebecca has been an active member of the Alliance Française de Kalamazoo, both as a board member and a member at large.
As a graduate student Rebecca worked with students learning English as a second language at CELCIS. As a WMU staff member she enjoyed working with international students for 23 years as a recruiter, admissions specialist and immigration advisor before moving to central administration within the Haenicke Institute. She also took part in a faculty/staff development program in Querétaro, Mexico. Between business and pleasure Rebecca has visited 30 countries.
Currently Rebecca works with many WMU departments and external agencies to help resolve serious problems for international students. She also oversees personnel issues for the Haenicke Institute.
Rebecca enjoys traveling, paper making, cooking, spending time with friends and family and reading British murder mysteries.
As the director of administration and international student advocate, Rebecca's primary responsibilities include:
- Directs and manages Haenicke Institute personnel matters. Collaborates with the Associate Provost on strategic personnel planning.
- Promotes fairness and equity, advises Haenicke Institute supervisors, employees on state, federal, and university regulations. Provides leadership to establish and maintain a profession work environment through one-on-one counseling, conflict resolution and training related to the prevention of sexual harassment and bullying.
- Advises and advocates on behalf of international students in crisis. Works with academic departments, offices, and agencies both on and off campus to help students find the assistance they need.