• Immigration Services offers walk-in and by-appointment services.

    Immigration Services offers both walk-in advising and advising by appointment. 

    Advising Services
  • Everyone is #WelcomeAtWestern

    Help the Haenicke Institute for Global Education spread the message that everyone is #WelcomeAtWestern. Printable posters available! 

    You are welcome here
  • Optional Practical Training Workshops

    Optional Practical Training (OPT) workshops are offered monthly for F-1 students at Western Michigan University. 

    OPT Workshops

Important notices

Ninth Circuit Allows Partial Enforcement of Latest Travel Ban

11/15/2017 The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit has issued an order that will allow the Trump Administration to temporarily enforce travel restrictions against certain nationals of Chad, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Syria, and Yemen, but will exempt travelers with a bona fide relationship to a person or entity in the United States. For all updates, please read the legal summary from Fragomen Worldwide Immigration Website.

Important News: US-Turkey Mutual Visa Suspension

10/25/2017 The U.S. Mission to Turkey has suspended all nonimmigrant visa services at its diplomatic facilities in Turkey, according to a statement released. This impacts nonimmigrant students, scholars and faculty. Immigrant visa services are not affected by the suspension. Although the U.S. government has not addressed current visa holders, Turkish nationals  holding valid U.S. visas should not be affected by the suspension and should be able to travel to the United States, provided they are otherwise admissible. For all updates, please read the legal summary from Fragomen Worldwide Immigration Website.

Travel Ban Suspended

10/20/2017 The recent travel ban changes to the eight affected countries has once again been suspended. For all updates, please read the legal summary from Fragomen Worldwide Immigration Website.

Travel Ban Updates

10/11/2017 -  Please be advised of a new travel ban affecting eight countries (Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela, Yemen), which replaced the former travel ban.  It contains an except for Iran for F, M, and J visa holders. Effective October 18, 2017, you will no longer be able to rely on the "bona fide relationship to a person or entity" exception for the affected countries. However, the new travel ban contains exemptions for those who were in the U.S. on the applicable effective date and who have a valid visa.  For details, see the link to the legal summary from Fragomen Worldwide Immigration Website.

Resources for DACA Students

09/25/2017 - Although WMU Immigration Services cannot advise DACA students on their personal immigration matters, as it is outside our scope, there are outside resources in the community.  You may find the Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (MIRC) website to be helpful.

What International Students and Scholars Need to Know About the Travel Ban 

07/21/2017  Please review Fragomen Worldwide's answers to frequently asked questions about the travel ban. The information is based on the latest guidance from the Department of State and Homeland Security.

Read more immigration news