Click here for most recent complete syllabus (.pdf format)
IME 3180 - Statistical Quality Control
This Course Is No Longer Offered As Of Summer 2010
Methods of applying statistics and probability theory to control production processes. Application of computer programs to analyze quality control problems.
Prerequisites & Corequisites: Prerequisite: IME 2610.
Credits: 3 hours
Lecture Hours - Laboratory Hours: (3 - 0)
Prerequisites by Topic:
- Basic electronic communication skills; word processing, electronic
spreadsheet, Internet access, email.
- Working knowledge of descriptive statistics, mean, variance,
standard deviation, graphical display methods, probability,
confidence intervals, (IME 2610).
- Working knowledge of inferential statistics; estimation,
(IME 2610, 2620).
- Working knowledge of probability distributions and their
applications (IME 2610).
At the conclusion of the semester the students should
have the ability to:
- Understand the fundamentals of quality and the methods used
to control quality.
- Have an appreciation for the quality philosophies of leaders
in the field.
- Be able to select and apply fundamental quality improvement
tools including flowcharting, cause & effect diagrams, and
- Comprehend the concept of statistical process control and be
able to set up and interpret both variable and attribute control
- Be able to understand and apply lot-by-lot
- Comprehend the concept of quality costs
and be able to categorize costs.
- Be cognizant of ISO-9000 and the various
quality standards in existence.
- Be able to conduct and interpret the results
of a process capability analysis.
- Be able to assess the adequacy of a measurement
- Be proficient in the application of MINITAB to analyze quality
- Be able to pass the American Society for
Quality certification examination as a Quality Engineer.
Applied Statistics for Engineers and Scientists, D.M. Levine, P.P. Ramsey & R. Schmidt, Prentice-
Hall, Inc. Upper Saddle River, N.Y. 07458, 2001, ISBM 0-13-488801-4.
MINITAB, Version 15, MINITAB, Inc., 3081 Enterprise Drive, State College, PA, 16801.*
*MINITAB is available for use in the CAE Center, Parkview Campus. You do not need to purchase
this software. The “student” version of MINITAB will not handle all problems/techniques covered
in this class.
- Advanced Product Quality Planning and Control Plan (APQP),
Available from Automotive Industry Action Group,
Tel. 248-358-3003, 1995.
- Barrentine, L.B, Concepts for R&R Studies, ASQ Quality
Press, Milwaukee, WI 53202, 1991, ISBN 0-87389-108-2.
- Hoyer, R.W. and B.B.Y. Hoyer; “What is Quality?”
Quality Progress, Vol. 34, No. 7, July 2001, American Society
for Quality, 600 N. Plankinton Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53203.
- Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA), 3rd Ed., Available from
Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG), Tel. 248-358-3003,
- Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), 3rd Ed., Available
from Automotive Industry Action Group (AIAG), Tel. 248-358-3003,
- Statistical Process Control (SPC), Available from Automotive
Industry Action Group,
Tel. 248-358-3003, 1995.
- Wheeler D.J. and R.W. Dyday, Evaluating the Measurement Process,
2nd Ed., SPC Press, Knoxville, TN 37919, 1989, ISBN 0-945320-06-X.
Revision Date: Spring 2008