Western Michigan University's Department of Human Performance and Health Education recreation management concentration prepares students for leadership or administrative roles in public, non-profit, commercial and recreational sport organizations. The electives in this program allow for student flexibility in preparing for employment in any of the different areas in the fields of recreation and sport. Students will complete a supervised practicum and internship experience.
The recreation management concentration is a curriculum; the student does not need a minor. The concentration consists of university general education courses, required cognate, required human performance and health education courses and elective credits.
For class listings, program guides and other resources, visit the advising page for the recreation management major.
Internship and practicum
Starting Fall 2017, Portfolios (Notebooks) for Undergraduate and Graduate Internships (HPHE 4990 and HPHE 7120) must be electronic. Further details, and all reports necessary for the internships, are available at:
- Mr. William Deming
- Mr. Matt Lechel
- Mr. Jason Horan
- American Camping Association
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- Michigan Recreation and Park Association
- National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association
- National Recreation and Park Association
- Resort and Commercial Recreation Association
- United States National Parks Service
- United States Forest Service
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service
- YMCA Official Site
For additional information regarding the recreation program and its two concentrations, please contact Dr. Jim Lewis.