PPM Section 7 -
It may become necessary for the employer to sever the employment relationship through the discharge
of an employee. The discharge of a staff member is an action to be taken with extreme care to
ensure the protection of all parties concerned. Supervisors are expected to contact Human Resources
prior to discharging any employee to ensure such action is appropriate, consistent with standard
policies, and that due process requirements have been met.
- Reasons for discharge of a staff member must be documented with supporting data justifying
the discharge action.
- During probation, management may release the employee with or without cause at the sole
discretion of management. Termination under these conditions may be without notice. Supervisors
are expected to contact Human Resource Services prior to discharging any probationary employee.
After consulting with Human Resources regarding the discharge, and upon compilation of
necessary documentation for the action, discharge procedures are as follows:
- The supervisor advises the employee of the reason(s) for, and the date of, the discharge.
- The supervisor completes a Transaction form indicating separation, following the
instructions provided on the back of form.
- Management reserves the right to schedule the employee's use of annual leave before the
effective date of the discharge to meet the department's budget and staffing needs. Any remaining
annual leave balance is subject to the Annual
Leave-Separation and Retirement provisions in the Employee Handbook.
- The immediate supervisor informs the employee that he/she must contact Human Resource Services
to schedule an exit interview.
- The supervisor collects University property (including building keys and access cards,
Bronco Card, electronic equipment, parking permit, etc.) from the employee on their last day.