PPM Section 3 -
Employment practices: employment eligibility verification
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires employers to verify that all new
employees, including student employees, are legally eligible to work in the United States.
A properly completed I-9 form is used to provide this verification.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act also prohibits discrimination against any individual
(other than an unauthorized alien) in recruiting, hiring or discharging because of national
origin or citizenship status.
Procedure Form I-9
- The Form I-9 process is triggered by appointment form entry. Appointments must be received by Human Resources prior to the employment begin date for all employees.
- Employees must complete the Employee Verification and Information Section of the Form I-9 on or before the first day of employment.
- Employees must bring their original, unexpired documents to Human Resources for verification within three business days of their first date of employment.
- Detailed Form I-9 instructions are located on the Human Resources Web site.