PPM Section 13 - Leaves and Absences from Work: University Convenience Leave of Absence
Occasionally, the University may find it necessary to reduce staff due to financial constraints.
In an effort to facilitate staff reduction with the least negative impact on the University
and its employees, the University has established the "University convenience leave of
absence" for employees when the University does not require their particular services.
One common example is an absence during the summer period between academic years.
"University convenience leave of absence" means the absence is voluntary and acceptable
to the employee, but it is for the benefit of the University (i.e., to reduce paid staff at
times when they can be spared). In such cases, the University will pay the employer portion
of the group insurance and provide other non-payroll driven benefits. (Under normal unpaid personal
leave of absence, the employee must pay all insurance costs and loses eligibility for most benefits.)
This policy makes it easier for willing employees to accept the unpaid leave of absence.
Length of leave
The leave of absence is to last for not less than one (1) month and not more than six (6)
Benefits during leave
The University will pay the employer portion of the group insurance and provide other non-payroll
driven benefits. The employee must pay his/her portion of insurance premiums or other employee
costs during the leave.
Return to work
The employee must return to the job he/she held prior to the leave upon expiration of the
- The leave of absence must be certified to be University convenience and must be approved
by the appropriate vice president.
- The employee and his/her supervisor must complete the appropriate sections
of a leave of absence application (P-320) and attach any necessary
supporting documents. The leave of absence application (P-320) is available on the Forms page.
In the "purpose" area of the form, it must be noted that this unpaid leave is acceptable
to the employee as a voluntary action on their part. Employees will not be eligible for unemployment
benefits during a University convenience leave.
- The application must be approved and signed by the appropriate vice president.
- If approved by the vice president, Human Resources verifies that the employee meets eligibility requirements for the requested leave and places him/her on a University convenience leave of absence without pay.
- The employee's regular position must be left vacant during the leave of absence.
- The consent to release leave of absence information is an optional
form and is available on the Forms page. This form, when completed and
returned to Human Resources, allows the Human Resources staff to release leave of absence information
on the employee's behalf to specific, relevant parties (e.g., the employee's personal spokesperson,
bargaining unit, etc.).