PPM Section 8 - Work Schedules and University Closings
For employee equity, the University has established campus-wide work hours and related work
policies that also assure compliance with certain state and federal regulations. These policies
are predicated upon the assurance that to accomplish the mission of the University, services
essential to students and prospective students are always maintained.
General University schedule
Please see general University schedule in the employee handbook.
University policy provides for a one-hour lunch period during regular hours, with the following
- Lunch schedules may vary by department and can be adjusted to meet departmental needs.
- The length of the lunch period may vary, but a lunch period may not be less than one-half
hour during approved flextime.
- Lunch schedules are set by supervisors to allow offices to remain open during the lunch
hour for the conduct of regular business. Exceptions to this policy must have the approval
of the appropriate vice president.
- With the approval of the appropriate vice president, offices unable to remain open
will be closed for lunch between noon and 1 p.m. and will post a sign giving the
time the office will reopen.
- Offices closed during the lunch hour will display a deposit box for incoming mail.
- Offices closed during the lunch hour will place their phones on call forwarding or use
Please see breaks in the employee handbook.
Supervisors may authorize flextime time hours for requesting employees. The supervisor has discretion
to approve or deny the request, or cancel or alter approved flextime, to meet departmental staffing
needs. All flextime arrangements must adhere to the following requirements and procedures:
- All employee flextime requests should be made to the employee's supervisor. All flextime
arrangements require supervisory approval.
- Employees on flextime must still work their regularly scheduled number of hours in a week.
- Between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. offices are staffed to remain fully operational.
- Employee on flextime must be scheduled to work during core hours of operation, 9 a.m.
to 3:30 p.m.
- Employees on flextime may arrange to start work between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and leave
work between 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Lunch period must be scheduled for at least one-half hour.
- The potential time an office could be open for service is from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Offices designated as an "essential service" for students and prospective students must
be adequately staffed for normal operations from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Policies governing core hours,
flexible hours, and potential time an office could be open also apply to essential service units.
The president and vice presidents determine which offices/units are considered essential services
and the hours that these offices/units must remain open and operational. Employees must be informed
in advance if their department is an essential service unit.
Also see winter closure and emergency
or weather shutdown.
General information about paid holidays is located in the employee handbook.
Additional information follows:
The University pays non-bargaining employees for eight (8) days away from work for holiday observance.
The actual dates are specified and published by Human Resources each year and distributed to
all departments for posting. The current holiday schedule for all employees can also be found on the Human Resources website.
Non-bargaining employees receive holiday pay for the following University-observed holidays:
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- One (1) day at Christmas
- One (1) day at New Year
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Eligibility -
All benefits-eligible employees (including
those still on probation) are eligible for paid holidays, provided they receive pay for the
last scheduled work day prior to the holiday and the first scheduled work day following the
- Pay for holidays worked -
Employees may be required to work on University-observed holidays. Hourly paid employees who
are required to work on a paid holiday are paid their regular pay plus one-and-one-half times
their normal hourly rate for any holiday hours worked. Salaried employees are not eligible
for additional pay for holiday hours worked.
- Holidays that fall on non-working days -
If a University-observed holiday falls on a day when a full-time employee is not scheduled
to work as part of his/her established workweek, an alternate day off with pay is to be scheduled
by the supervisor. However, a part-time employee who is not scheduled to work on a University-observed
holiday as part of his/her established work week is not to be given an alternate day off with
- Other religious holidays -
Employees may use annual leave to celebrate religious
holidays on days the University operates under normal business hours.
Please see winter closure in the employee handbook.
or weather shutdown
The Closure Policy is located on the Western Michigan University policies Web page.
Additional provision: Inasmuch as pay for University closing is a benefit, student employees and temporary employees
are not eligible for University closure pay.