Skip To Nav

Site-specific menu

Employee Handbook Section 4 - Direct Compensation

Staff compensation system

The staff compensation system covers all professional, administrative, clerical and technical staff members. It does not include bargaining-unit employees, employees hired by contract, researchers, executive officials or senior administrative officers.
A market-based compensation system is used to classify positions.

The staff compensation system contains 13 position grades, numbered 10 through 22. Each grade has a minimum and a maximum pay amount, with three pay ranges between the minimum and maximum:

The current pay structure, with dollar amounts shown, can be found at Staff Compensation System-Pay Structure (PDF).

Starting pay for new employees

New employees should be hired at a pay rate between the pay grade minimum and the lower end of the pay grade's mid-range. Starting rates in the mid-range or upper third of the range must be reviewed by Human Resources prior to the department making an offer to the applicant. Prior approval of the appropriate vice president is required for starting rates in the upper third of the range.

Pay adjustments related to job changes

An employee's current rate of pay should not preclude them from consideration for transfer opportunities, including promotions, lateral moves, and demotions. Should an employee be promoted, laterally transferred, or demoted to a new position, the employee's pay rate will be adjusted as follows.


Please note that the hiring department must receive approval for any exceptions to the following guidelines prior to making an offer to the employee. The hiring department will prepare written justification for a proposed exception, and the appropriate vice president, in consultation with Human Resources, will approve or deny the exception. The written justification for all approved exceptions must accompany the authorizing form and will be placed in the employee's Human Resources file.


The following guidelines apply regardless of the number of grades the employee is promoted.

Lateral transfers

Generally, employees should not receive a pay adjustment when transferring to another position in the same pay grade. Departments may discuss with Human Resources possible exceptions based on unique job or employee qualifications, prior to making an offer to the employee.


Should an employee transfer to another position with a lower pay grade, the employee's pay rate should be governed by the new pay range. Departments should contact Human Resources to determine the appropriate pay prior to making an offer to the employee.

Temporary base pay increases for acting or interim appointments

From time to time, all employees are expected to assume some of the duties of a vacant position. However, it is only when an employee is appointed to a vacant position in an "acting" or "interim" capacity that a base pay adjustment should occur.

Adjustments to base pay

Adjustments to base pay should only occur through the annual pay adjustment process, at the time of promotion, or when an employee's current position increases in grade.

Annual pay increases

Pay increases are never considered automatic. Each year, the University's president and Board of Trustees consider allocating funds for pay increases, taking many budget and economic factors into consideration. If pay increases are budgeted, raises are granted with the approval of each employee's supervisor, and employees with satisfactory performance will normally receive pay increases effective with the start of the fiscal year. Pay raises may be withheld for less than satisfactory performance.

Overtime pay

Overtime pay is required whenever a non-exempt (hourly paid) employee works more than forty (40) hours in one week. Overtime pay is paid at one-and-one-half (1-1/2) times the employee's regular hourly rate for the amount of time worked over forty hours in one week.

Exempt (salaried) employees are not eligible for overtime pay.

Reporting your time

  1. Non-exempt (hourly paid) employees record their work hours either on a time report or by using a time clock. Your supervisor will tell you which method is used in your department. If a paper time report is used:
    • All hours worked, including those in excess of forty (40) in one week, must be reported.
    • The time report should be completed daily.
    • Every absence must be explained.
    • The report is to be signed by the employee and turned in for the supervisor's signature; your department will tell you when they are due.
    Time reports are part of each department's records and must match the biweekly time reported in Kronos. Detailed instructions for filling out the time report are on the reverse side of the report form. Non-exempt employees are eligible for overtime pay.
  2. Exempt (salaried) employees must record and certify their hours worked. Your department will instruct you on their policy for reporting time. All absences and use of leave must be recorded on this report. Detailed instructions for filling out this report are available from Payroll and Disbursements. Overtime pay is not paid to salaried employees.


Payroll and Disbursements issues pay every other Tuesday. You may receive your pay via direct deposit or pay card.

Your biweekly pay covers the two-week period ending nine days before payday. You may review a summary of each biweekly pay, which includes gross pay, deductions, net earnings, as well as sick and annual leave use and balances, via Self Service in GoWMU. For detailed instructions on accessing your biweekly pay summary, please visit Pay Stub on the Payroll and Disbursements website.

If you have a question about your pay, contact your supervisor. If further help is needed, contact Payroll and Disbursements.

Payroll choices

You will receive your pay in one of two manners: direct deposit at a financial institution or via a payroll card. You may select the option you prefer via Self Service in GoWMU.

Direct deposit

You may have your pay directly deposited at a financial institution. The direct deposit is normally received by the financial institution on the morning of each payday.

Payroll card

If you do not select direct deposit, you will receive your pay via a payroll card. For more information about payroll cards, please visit Payroll Choices on the Payroll and Disbursements website.

Payroll deductions

Payroll deduction is a method for automatically withholding money from your pay on a regular basis. The following deductions are available at WMU: