Policies and Procedures Manual Section 13
Jury duty. Regular non-bargaining staff members summoned for jury duty are to be released from work to report for jury duty, as prescribed by applicable law, and are eligible for pay for the time they serve in this capacity. Bargaining unit employees should refer to their bargaining unit contract for applicable provisions.
- Subpoenaed witness. Regular, non-bargaining staff members who are subpoenaed as a witness in a legal action involving Western Michigan University to which they are or are not a party are to be released from work for court required service and are eligible for pay for the time they serve in this capacity. Bargaining unit employees should refer to their bargaining unit contract for applicable provisions.
Regular, non-bargaining staff members who are subpoenaed for non-University business must use annual leave or no-pay leave for the time they are absent from work.
Employees must notify their supervisor if they will be absent for required court attendance.
The staff member must report for regular University duty when court attendance is not required for jury duty or as a subpoenaed witness.
Staff members are eligible for regular pay for the time they serve on jury duty/court required service, provided they submit the required documentation and meet the eligibility requirements.
- Employees submit to their supervisor a copy of the jury summons or subpoena.
- To receive regular pay, employees submit to their supervisor the following:
- A record from the court indicating the time served on jury duty or as a subpoenaed witness.
- A completed court required service/jury duty certification form, which is available at Forms: Jury Duty and Court Required Service.
- The department records the hours served by the employee as hours worked on the time report covering the pay period during which the jury duty/court required service was required.
- All court required service/jury duty certification forms and attachments should be retained with departmental time records.