Employee Handbook Section 1
The Western Michigan University Human Resources staff is committed to providing you excellent service. There are a number of ways for you to contact us.
Our office has several units, each of which is briefly described below. Please let us know how we can help you.
- HR services administers the University's compensation system, performance management process, and the processes for hiring, transferring and terminating employees, including the job opportunity program. In addition, HR services administers your employee benefits, including all group insurance plans (health, life and long-term disability) leave plans (including FMLA), and other benefits. This unit also assists employees with retirement planning and services, including tax-deferred savings plans.
- Human resources information systems generates information on both a scheduled and ad hoc basis in response to administrative and management requirements of the University.
- Staff labor relations oversees employee relations for bargaining staff employees, including all discipline issues, grievances, and contract negotiations and interpretation.
- Human Resources encourages you to visit the Western Michigan University website to learn more about all aspects of the University.
- Institutional Equity oversees and administers the University's affirmative action and equal employment opportunity programs and policies, the Americans with Disability Act and related accommodations, and also addresses issues of equality and justice for all members of the University as consistent with the University's Non-Discrimination Policy.
- The Employee Assistance Program is a free and confidential service that assists employees with personal issues.
- Campus Employee Dispute Resolution Services is a free mediation service that helps employees find mutually agreeable solutions to interpersonal disputes with other individuals. Western Michigan University treats CEDRS mediation service in a confidential fashion.